Things that rumble

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:56 am

BEARD_OF_BEES wrote:Also this is sort of ironic because studios spend lots and lots of money to eliminate rumbling and get things so they don't vibrate..

The vibrations and resonances in a room have a huge effect on the recording..its a reason many struggle in home studios to get a good sound..I know about this..
I've grown to love rumbling in a big way, from living next to a railway line and rehearsing under a mainline station, hearing those trains overhead on sparcer tunes really works nicely. I can eliminate it here on the whole but there are a lot of times i really want to encourage it tbh.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:08 am

We used to get high and sit under the low train bridge over the river on the bank..thats my point of reference for working for "felt" music..

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 am

Yeah, that space under the railway station has become quite a template too. It's this big arch with a tin (?) ceiling and a deep sound. I find it really helpful to have a space to think of for the sound of recordings.

rigsbysmith.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:34 pm

Rigsby wrote:
joelpatterson wrote:Ummm... flip the phase of the original drone, lay that overtop of everything and that theoretically will cancel out to the original drone?

Except that the techniques that are so good theoretically on paper have a way of just not working out.

Give us an easier question, Rigsby!
Hey Joel!

Actually, that's not a bad trail of thought, i had a lot of luck with that a couple of months ago when i accidentally deleted some pretty complex cello parts and managed to get them back by doing an identical mix of everything except those, flipping the phase and matching it with the rough mix i had with the cellos: i was left with just the cello parts again, worked out fantastically, i'll give it a go with this, it should work out if i record the same part again and take away the rattling objects, then flip the phase, as long as i keep volume/mic positioning/other variables etc the same. Hmm.. definately worth a try, cheers mate.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

(Five shock rating!) That's Mr. Science territory!

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:54 pm

I did a rumble track recently by using one of those old home stereo reverb units. We just wired it up to an amp and then, I dunno, rumbled it. I sat with it on the ground, and moved it and thumped on it a bit. It worked out quite well.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:42 am

trashy wrote:I did a rumble track recently by using one of those old home stereo reverb units. We just wired it up to an amp and then, I dunno, rumbled it. I sat with it on the ground, and moved it and thumped on it a bit. It worked out quite well.
I don't have one of those, but you made me think an amp with a spring reverb shaken lightly might be a nice addition to this tune.

rigsbysmith.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:27 am

I did a moody track none-too-long-ago. Just the mp3, recorder, a stereo-omni, guitar, vocal, and the sound of the fucking big beautiful stand of oaks near my old house being ripped out for goddamn condos.

Its a pretty nice rememberance of a lousy feeling.