Anyone use AT4033's for overheads or Room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Anyone use AT4033's for overheads or Room

Post by UnlikeKurt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:06 am

Just curious if anyone uses AT4033 for anything other than guitar cabs...specifically room mics, and their opinions.
Thanks

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 am

I use them all the time as drum OH's. I think they work pretty well, but sometimes cymbals can be a little harsh, it's got that sizzly high end sound
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:30 am

I like a single 4033 in front of kit, maybe 3' high and 3' away from the kick drum. I also like it on my own voice, but haven't liked it on any other voices I've tried it on.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:09 am

I suppose some people just get their kick sound from some large diaphram condenser like a shure beta 52 and sort...But I dare you to put this thing on the side where the drummer's beater hits the kick...Yeah thats right, put it pretty much under the lo tom and pretty much next to the kick drum pedal...I tried it one day and I nearly shiz in my pants...It gets that attack that I love to hear in kicks...Try it!

As for overheads, I don't really like this mic for that purpose...I've heard that some people say they're too sizzly on the top end...In my opinion AKG 451's are sizzly on the top end...4033's as overheads just plain sound cheap to me...It's like some artificial hi end, but that may just be me....Anyhow...Peace....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:27 am

I used one on kick drum, too - with some eq'ing, it gave me a decent sound that mixed out ok.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:03 am

if your going to use the 4033 for drum room..putting it near the floor in front of the kick or away from the cymbals in general might be a good idea since its harsh and on the bright side..maybe a windscreen or a light towel over it..put it some place that sounds good as possible..that flatters the drums and also doesnt lean on the limitations of the mic..be creative..you can definitely make that mic work for drums..

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:07 am

they sound really, really good on a bass cab, it's pretty much the only reason I still have mine

they sound ok as a room mic oh, 4 feet in front of the kit or so, I use one all the time for that but it hardly ever makes it to mixdown

they sound pretty good on a guitar cab, but I like what a 57 does better

mostly its an adequate mic but thats not exactly high praise is it?
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com