Modular Acoustics panel opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Modular Acoustics panel opinions?

Post by pulse_divider » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:05 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used and can offer opinions on the panels at www.modularacoustics.com? I see them for sale on Ebay all the time and was thinking about picking up one of the MA-2 hinged sets to have in the live room, then moving it to the control room for mixing.
I have a few MiniTraps in the control room and I'm really happy with them and am wondering how the MA stuff stacks up for LF absorption. They seem to be a different design and I'm curious how well they work down in the low end... does the the fact that they have a reflective side impact this? .
The Teabags look to be a really good deal as well and don't look to cost too much more than making your own.
Anyone tried them?

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:25 pm

I've got 8 MA panels. 4 MA-1's that I use in my control room behind the monitors, and a pair of MA-2's hinged panels that I use for acoustic baffles out in the live room. The workmanship on them is excellent and I've been gassed with the performance.

Contact Nick Fournier at Modular Acoustics. Really nice guy, and he can answer all of your questions.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Moving this to "building a space."

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:22 am

I'm a big fan. The best deal in acoustic treatments. You could build something very similar yourself... but it would cost about the same and probably look much, much worse.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:48 am

from the MA site:

"Modular Acoustic panels are ... constructed of rigid insulation without any membrane giving better broadband absorption than other membrane-based absorbers."

This is interesting because membranes are often used to provide more low-frequency absorption than rigid fiberglass can. I believe at least some of the RealTraps products use membranes in conjunction with rigid fiberglass. So I guess i would be curious just what kind of performance the MA panels have at low frequencies.

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:46 am

i bought owens corning 2 inch 703 for something like twelve dollars a sheet. a few bucks for backing, a few bucks for wood, and a few bucks for fabric. that's a bit cheaper than $110.00. i'd imagine these things have 703 in them.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:46 am

googacky wrote:i bought owens corning 2 inch 703 for something like twelve dollars a sheet. a few bucks for backing, a few bucks for wood, and a few bucks for fabric. that's a bit cheaper than $110.00. i'd imagine these things have 703 in them.
http://www.modularacoustics.com/products.htm

Scroll down and look at the (unfortunately named) TeaBagz product. This is cheaper and lighter than the older wood-framed product that sells for $110. I was able to hang these traps with extra-strength velcro. No joke.

And yes, they are 4 inches of 703 (actually, the equivalent product in Certainteed's product line). The $65 buys you the insulation and the extremely simple, nice-looking cover. But, you also have the option of buying the cover for only $30 and then packing it yourself with whatever insulation you prefer (see the kits at the bottom of the link above).

Sorry if I sound like a shill for the guy, but during the process of setting up my room, Nick was great with communication and advice. I definitely got way more than my money's worth in the experience.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:31 pm

Jaj,

> I believe at least some of the RealTraps products use membranes in conjunction with rigid fiberglass. <

Yes, exactly, that increases low frequency absorption a lot.

At least if it's done properly. :)

--Ethan

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

thanks

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks for the opinions.
I'm going to go ahead and order an MA-2 and see for myself.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:47 pm

Ethan,
Thanks for showing up here. I don't know about the other products mentioned here but I've been happy with the Mini-Traps by Real Traps. Bonus? I'm moving next year and can throw them in the van and go!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:35 am

Larry,

> Thanks for showing up here. <

I've been checking almost daily, hoping the site would be back up!

> I don't know about the other products mentioned here but I've been happy with the Mini-Traps by Real Traps. <

Thanks much for your continued support. It's always tough for me to answer when people ask how some other product compares to ours, when the other product has no supporting data. But I'm confident our trap design makes them absorb as much bass as is physically possible for their size.

--Ethan

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:58 pm

Your traps really are great!
I have 4 Minitraps and 2 Microtraps in my control room.
Though I don't really have any scientific way of comparing the two, I'll post my opinions of the MA-2 when I receive it.
I think it will make a nice complement to the Minitraps, though. They are mounted on the walls/corners of my control room, so I'm planning on using the MA-2 gobo-style in the live room while tracking, then throwing it against the back wall of the control room for mixing.

blade70
audio school

Did it aswell

Post by blade70 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:47 pm

I did the exact same thing last summer, PM me and i will be able to help you out.

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:36 am

Just put up 6 "tea bagz" in the control room. Really cheap and easy to hang. Couldn't believe the difference removing the auralex lenard's and installing these. Room is so much tighter now. Mixes translate far better. Nick over at Modular was a pleasure to deal with answering questions and such. As a low cost alternative, I highly reccommend.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:10 pm

Well, I got my MA-2 in the mail last week.
I haven't done any tracking with it yet, but my impressions from fooling around with it in the live room are favorable so far. The build quality is pretty nice and it looks great.
I would be really surprised if it performs as well as the Mini-traps in the bass department, but I think it will make a very nice gobo that can double in the control room.