studio insurance

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

studio insurance

Post by kakumei47 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:50 pm

i know its been discussed but there's not a lot of specific info on TFSF.

what type of insurance do you have? $3500 of stolen mics later i finally decided i need it. I can't deal with that again. I'm looking specifically in NYC, and my studio is not very commercial. my gear buying to money making ratio is very high, so i can't spend much.

thanks!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:55 pm

My insurance is full business insurance from the Hartford. It's just over a grand a year for about $80k "coverage." Not just gear is covered, but injuries etc. Of course I don't trust insurance comnpanies. They are the biggest crooks in the world... But I still have it.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:06 am

Biz insurance (amazingly through State Farm who never do studios) to cover theft, fire, liability, etc. Never had to use it yet. If you travel for gigs make sure it covers your gear on the road!

Side note: I've been renting a lot of cars lately for mag trips and sessions. You can add (for like $18 a year!) a thing to your car ins policy that will cover yer ass with rental cars and let you skip the over-priced coverage they offer! Do it if you rent a bit.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:17 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Biz insurance (amazingly through State Farm who never do studios) to cover theft, fire, liability, etc. Never had to use it yet. If you travel for gigs make sure it covers your gear on the road!

Side note: I've been renting a lot of cars lately for mag trips and sessions. You can add (for like $18 a year!) a thing to your car ins policy that will cover yer ass with rental cars and let you skip the over-priced coverage they offer! Do it if you rent a bit.
i have that car thing on my credit card right now. the idea of it is kinda scary though. esp with my driving record.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:20 pm

If you are not making a living off of using recording gear it is a hobby. Renter's or Homeowner's insurance will cover it if it is stolen or damaged at you residence. If you take it elsewhere you are usually not covered. That's what they told me about playing gigs years ago when I insured a rental I lived in!
www.larry-crane.com

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:21 am

the thing on my credit card just covers car insurance. it doesn't have anything to do with my tax status. i only mention it because it's free with my credit card. but i think i had to upgrade to platinum status or something. but i thought you were talking about the actual insuring of the car. and not protection of some item contained within the car. but your apparently talking about a travelling studio.

party on wheels.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:44 am

The car insurance I was talking about is just for liability (accidents) while renting a car. Not what's in the car. If you add it to your policy you can ignore them when they try to sell you extra insurance when you're at the counter!

As far as things in the car, you'd need to make sure your homeowners/renters/business insurance covered stuff in transport. A friend of mine had something like that and was paid back for thousands of dollars of mics that "ran off" in a taxi he was loading out from.
www.larry-crane.com

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:02 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:The car insurance I was talking about is just for liability (accidents) while renting a car. Not what's in the car. If you add it to your policy you can ignore them when they try to sell you extra insurance when you're at the counter!
so we were in fact talking about the same thing then. cosmic. i get that coverage through my credit card. so i can wave the overpriced rental car insurance. it doesn't cost anything. i think it's through visa. but they won't tell you about it unless you ask.
TapeOpLarry wrote:As far as things in the car, you'd need to make sure your homeowners/renters/business insurance covered stuff in transport. A friend of mine had something like that and was paid back for thousands of dollars of mics that "ran off" in a taxi he was loading out from.
that SUCKS.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:50 am

I went through Clarion, and tho I have yet to experience the process of filing a claim (and hope I never have to), they cater to musicians and studio owners, and therefore are less likely to flake on you in the event of real tragedy. Their rates are great, too. They bested the business insurance policy my home insurer came up with, in both price and completeness of coverage.

http://www.clarionins.com/
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:58 pm

I think Clarion is where it's at for a couple of reasons...

1. If the typical home owner's policy company were ever to investigate and discover that you forwarded your career in any way with your gear, you're toast. If it's a grey area, they'll probably refuse to pay leaving no recourse but to hire a lawyer. It's kind of paranoid, I know. Still, I'll never be able to replace my shit again. It's ridiculous that I ever got it in the first place.

2. Clarion covers it knowing you're using it as a musician. When they quoted me, I think the only provision of non-coverage was like flood or something. He quoted me $30k of insurance (as a studio) for $250 +/-

3. Filing a home policy claim is crazy now...people get dropped for those claims, even if they're relatively small. Seems like the only time to file a home owners claim is when it's a HUGE problem or when the neighbor falls down your stairs and sues you for $160k

I"m glad the messageboard is up and running...

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:03 am

i too am going with Clarion. havn't had to file a claim though, hope i never do. i used to have renters insurance from Travellers but they dropped me specifically because i had 'home studio equipment' listed on my policy. sketchy, to be avoided.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:34 pm

And i also have a policy with Clarion. They've been extremely nice so far. Then again, they always are until you need to file a claim...

The only downside: Gear taken on the road is not covered if you're not actually in the vehicle. That means that somebody has to sleep in the van even when you're hooked up with some motel rooms. However it's a small price to pay, plus your equipment will be less likely to be stolen in the first place.

-marc

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:43 am

I've got Clarion as well. If you sign up with them, tell them you have a subscription to Mix or EQ magazine and they'll give you a discount (new policies only).

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:54 am

I'm lucky, my studio is in my other bedroom of my apartment. Allstate said they'd cover up to $25,000, which is more than enough for only $25 a month.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:33 am

I have Musicpro Insurance, http://www.musicproinsurance.com/ .
I have not had to file a claim... so who knows if it's any good.
But the cool thing is they have a variety of coverages you can get:

Instrument and Equipment
Studio Liability
Tour Liability
even Health and Life!

I don't know if Clarion does this, but for the instrument/equipment insurance you actually get to enter each individual item you own with serial number and description. You can access this info from the web and edit it at will. I think it's pretty reasonable. The yearly charge is something like 1% of the total value insured.

Also, your stuff is covered in your studio and on the road. And check this amazing quote from their website:

"We have had incidents where someone has packed up after a performance and found items missing; this would be covered. A performer packs all of his equipment in a van and forgets to close the door and the equipment fell out. Upon returning to retrieve the items, some of the equipment was damaged and some items were missing; this would be covered. Equipment damaged at a performance site by contractors erecting scaffolding; this would be covered. "

If it's true, it's pretty cool!

Roy