R-D, NC TapeOp thang...Thurs, Nov 17th @ Ratskeller

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Dot
pushin' record

R-D, NC TapeOp thang...Thurs, Nov 17th @ Ratskeller

Post by Dot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:51 pm

Had fun at the last one...

Any evening except Monday and Wednesday are good for me.

edited to add:

Let's have a TapeOp meet on Thursday, November 17th, 2005 @ 7:00 PM.

Same place as last time: Ratskeller on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill
Last edited by Dot on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

racerx77
audio school graduate

Post by racerx77 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:24 pm

I remember reading about the last get-together before the board went down.

I live South Florida now but I just found a home in Holly Springs and I'm selling my house down here and closing up my studio. I just love it up there, and boy, do I hate it here. I should be all moved up there in about 4-6 months. A tape-op night out would be cool. I'd be up for meeting some people when I get there because I won't know anybody except for some family. It would be really great to make some contacts, especially as far as "jobs" go. I doubt I'm going to open another studio.

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

Post by drmorbius » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:53 am

Count me in. Any night's cool.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:33 am

You know I'm in for just about any night!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 am

Not sure when I'll be up there again. The rest of the year is pretty slammed for me. Ironically, Kevin (the guy I was working with last time) movd up to DC this summer and I'm actually going up there to work with him again next week. Maybe in January or something. I'm pretty sure I'll be mixing a project up at Overdub early next year.

I'll keep my eye on this thread, though. If you guys put something together and I can get up there, I'll do it. And somebody make sure Matt McCallus is there this time.

Dot, I've been meaning to call you. Had a gear question for you.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Dr. Braun Schitzmir
audio school

Post by Dr. Braun Schitzmir » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:59 am

Hi Chris! This is Matt... JJ filled me in that you mentioned me in this thread... I got a kick out of that! Cool to hear from you, and hopefully we can get this thing together!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am

Hey Matt,

Glad to hear from you! I hope the Hill is treating you well. Thanks so much for loaning me that copy of TapeOp all those years ago. As you can see, I've become quite the enthusiast. How's your 8-track?

I'm gonna try to get up that way soon. May have some more work with John Plymale coming up. I'd love to see you again if this hang happens when I can be up there. Do you ever get back down this way?

CG

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:56 am

Let's have a TapeOp meet on Thursday, November 17th, 2005 @ 7:00 PM.

Same place as last time: Ratskeller on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

Post by drmorbius » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:39 am

Great! I should be able to make it! See you then.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:59 am

Sadly, I have a gig that night- live radio broadcast from UNC hospital for their children's telethon. I get to check out Tift Merritt though, so it's not all bad. Everybody's been raving about her for years and I've never heard a single note.

Of course I also have to do an 11 piece show band, in a large room covered entirely in reflective surfaces. Ya takes the good with the bad...

I'm always up for next time at the Rathskeller, though!
Steve Albini used to like it

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:14 pm

I won't be able to make that one, either, but it looks like I'll be back up that way in January. We'll set up another one then.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:08 pm

I work til ten that evening. Hang out late and I'll come play.

racerx77
audio school graduate

how was it?

Post by racerx77 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:31 am

I know it was a couple months ago but I'm just wondering how this turned out? I'm still in Fort Lauderdale but I've officially bought a new home just south of Raleigh and I close on April 7, so, I should be up there shortly after that.

Maybe time for another Tapeop beer night? We could set a record for holding the most of them.

I lurk on the boards everyday and I know theres a few people from the area so it would be great to get to know them in person.

I don't know anyone up there so this move is going to be hard for me but I'm very excited about getting out of South Florida. It's just too crowded and there are just no comfortable places to live anymore. I'm looking forward to Saturday evenings on the porch WITHOUT the hum of traffic in the background. I have family in North Carolina so that is good but no friends at all. My fiancee will be fine with the move and can find a job easily but I am a different story I guess. During college I taught guitar and worked at a music store, then I did the band thing and that evolved into working full time at my own studio like I do now. Not a very marketable career path when you end up moving somewhere that you dont have any connections!

But I'm still looking forward to the move and we'll see what happens. I had a different screen name and posted about moving up there about a year ago and I got some great responses. Now I am excited that the time is almost here.

L.

kywoman
gettin' sounds

Post by kywoman » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:46 am

just moved to Carrboro, starting an internship at Duke. I'd love to meet up with some/all of you... most all evenings are good for me, look forward to hearing from the collective you.