TapeOpCon Boston update

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

TapeOpCraig
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

TapeOpCon Boston update

Post by TapeOpCraig » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:23 am

Well...before we all go crazy and start figuring out all there is to do in Boston I need to let you all know that we are not finding suitable hotel space that will meet our criteria. New Orleans was an amazing combination of venues and East Coast locations are in their prime season in early summer and we are not finding any availibility and what little rooms there are, is expensive! So, the search continues.

Remember, if you really think you know of someplace that could host us you have to be aware of the names of the venues and put yourself in the shoes of someone who would be coming in by asking yourself the following:

Is there a cool theater that can host our main panels and is it affordable (non-union - non clear channel), available, and respectable?

Is there a decent hotel within close proximity that will have meeting space for the workshops and sponsor area? We need many rooms if we want to have as good an agenda as last year.

Is the city well served by a decent airport with good flights and times?

Is there a good music venue close by for our evening fun?

This is the short list as there tons of logistics involved with the planning and delivery of this conference.

Finally, I agreed to moderate this forum so it would be a positive place to explore the conference ideas and potential. Please, no insults or name calling. I have already removed one reply and will remove any others that are off topic. I ask everyone who visits here and responds to me or anyone else to do so with care and consideration of their fellow audio professionals. OK?

Thanks,
Craig
Last edited by TapeOpCraig on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rolff
audio school

Post by Rolff » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 am

Despite what many may think, Nashville Rocks!... :lol:
Rolff

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am

Craig,

What about the possiblities of it being in Portland? When I went up there earlier this year I had the best time with accomadations and the local people. Just a suggestion. Hope all works out ok.

P.S.
When you want to go surf down in the San Diego area, let me know. We could even do a Norte Baja run. TapeOp @ Las Gaviotas would be a blast!

Take care,
Doug Owens
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:57 pm

How about Chicago?
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:10 am

How full are the Berklee dorms at that point?

Bwanasonic
pluggin' in mics

Re: TapeOpCon Boston update

Post by Bwanasonic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 am

TapeOpCraig wrote:Is there a cool theater that can host our main panels and is it affordable (non-union - non clear channel), available, and respectable?
The places that come to mind on this are the Regent Theatre in Arlington, MA, and the Somerville Theatre.

http://www.regenttheatre.com/

http://www.somervilletheatreonline.com/

I would be happy to do some *legwork* if needed. PM.

Kerry M

PS. Oh, I get it - the lack of hotel space makes Boston look like a no go? Well here's hoping it works out, and my offer for grunt work still stands.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:16 am

So ya know. Boston is pretty much out fo the picture. More info soon - I'll be in Tucson this week with Craig working on ideas...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 am

you should consider Oklahoma City. I know that it seems like a piece of shit city... but, the downtown area has been renovated. There are several good venues close to or in downtown oklahoma city. lots of hotels, too. I would assume that the only transportation necessary would be from the airport into downtown. approx. 5 minute drive.

plus, Oklahoma City is dirt cheap.

and, it's right in the center of the country so it's close to everyone.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:27 am

John Noll wrote:How about Chicago?

Likely too expensive, at least downtown. Possibly the outlying areas, like Rosemont, would work.

Nice lookin' studio, btw.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:28 pm

We priced Chicago once. Way outta our price bracket.

Keep in mind that the place must have enough rooms for 900 people, a place that many can meet at once, at least 6 rooms for workshops and a trade show area. Plus a large club nearby, major airport, and everything must be somewhat central. Okay, now you need to convince people to go there, attendees and sponsor/exhibitors alike. Now you need to make sure the flights there are not too much, and that there's somewhere to ship all the exhibitor's stuff. Oh yeah, the hotel rooms have to be affordable. And if there's any studios in the area you better talk to them soon and not leave any out or they will be bummed. Now the hotel wants a commitment and a $30k deposit.

Sounds like fun, huh?
www.larry-crane.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:34 pm

oh yeah, don't forget to get panelists lined up, and you need to convince them they need to pay their own way AND donate all their time to your conference. And you need to come up with new and exciting panel topics even though everyone wants to be on the ones they saw last year. And then you need to buy thousands of dollars of food so you can get "free" event rooms.

And then you announce the plans and the message board is full of people complaining about why it isn't in their town or that the panelists and workshops look like last year, even though they didn't attend last year.

No bitterness here. Just trying to explain what a crazy process it is. And if you think we're making big money at the end of the day...
www.larry-crane.com

alissa
pushin' record

hotel insider

Post by alissa » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:57 pm

i don't know if you've considered the twin cities, but there are lots of cool venues and some really nice old theatres.

plus, i'm kind of an insider as my job is working at conventions like these. (banquet ho). and i can tell you that summers aren't real busy here. our busy season is april-may and sept-oct.

i might even be able to dig up some contact info for you. if you tell me what you're looking for...

it's prolly not as cheap as oklahoma city. but it'll be WAY cheaper than boston.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:10 pm

Please hold on with city suggestions. I think we've picked a place but will announce it eventually, soon, sometime!!!!!

It's getting closer unfortunately. Katrina cost us a lot of time...
www.larry-crane.com

_Daryl_
pluggin' in mics

out west?

Post by _Daryl_ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:07 am

well larry, (if i may) hopefully TapeOp Con will make it out west...Denver perhaps is the city to be announced? The Gothic Theater, The Ogden Theater, The Bluebird Theater are all bitchin' little venues... or Boulder maybe?? When can we expect an annoucnment? thanks for the updates...
"cut the shit, and boost the gain"

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:35 am

Larry man There is this place in upstate NY called the Friar Tuck Inn resort and convention center..I have family that runs the place( I may be able to get you a deal)..Its HUGE and is 2 hours from NYC..Its a crazy theme place..like Knights and Castles..It would be really awesome there..check it out..see if it could work..the place is crazy..

http://www.friartuck.com/