Hard Drive Crisis

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Hard Drive Crisis

Post by SaneMan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:17 am

I just finished tracking this band a few weeks ago(its been a very slow process), and I managed to get a chance to take it in to the studio I work at for a night and mix some it. The next morning, I came in to make some changes and when I plugged in my drive it made a pop noise and now refuses to mount. In fact, the drive doesn't even spin at all when I plug it in. I attempted disk warrior, but the computer won't even see the drive.

This is a LaCie 180g d2 Extreme drive, and there were 4 other ones(250g) in the control room. My only guess is that I used the wrong power supply(even though I interchange the 4 250g's power supplies all the time). Does anyone know if this matters?

I've left the band with only rough mixes, which pretty much suck, and they're putting them on the internet. I desperately need to get their sessions off my drive so I can do better mixes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am

I'd be tempted to disassemble the box and take the harddrive component out, and directly plug it into your IDE bus on the computer. If something was wrong with the power supply, you might have blown out some component besides the harddrive. Pulling the harddrive and putting it straight into your computer will allow you to bypass any power supply/interface circuits that might have gotten wrecked.

Good luck. And perhaps give some thought to a system of regular backups.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:45 pm

Yeah, I've thought about that, a little scared to get my computer involved even though I don't think it would be too hard. I'd really like to swap cases with another identical drive, but don't have one at the moment. Definately gonna sort out a system for backing up.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:49 pm

Phiz wrote:I'd be tempted to disassemble the box and take the harddrive component out, and directly plug it into your IDE bus on the computer. If something was wrong with the power supply, you might have blown out some component besides the harddrive. Pulling the harddrive and putting it straight into your computer will allow you to bypass any power supply/interface circuits that might have gotten wrecked.

Good luck. And perhaps give some thought to a system of regular backups.
Without another LaCie laying around, that sounds like the only way to get this happening without spending money on a "stuff your own" firewire case. Those are pretty cheap these days. you could get a super stupid cheap one just to do a xfer to someting that actually works....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:10 pm

And please remember the First Rule of Computer Audio: If it doesn't exist in two places, it doesn't exist.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/