Flush mounting speakers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Flush mounting speakers

Post by brian beattie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Hello All
I am building a studio. I've got a cinderblock box on a slab, and I'm working on a seperate frame structure inside. I have a nice, double wall between the control room and the main cutting room, and I have a swell pair of tannoy ardens a friend is loaning to me for my main monitors. How would I go about flush mounting these speakers? My half baked plan is to frame the space into which the speakers will be mounted like a little closet. Then I intend to build the box upon which the speakers will stand, and put the frame and speakers into my little closet space, with the front of the speakers flush with the front wall of my control room. I should frame and sheathe the entire little closet enclosure to keep my good double wall, right? will this create strange resonances? Should I frame and sheathe it and cram it with insulation? How is this usually done?
I know that knowledgable folks will need more info from me to advise me well, so ask away. I need scads of advice.
thank you in advance, you gooey brained saints.
brian

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:53 pm

Do they have to be mounted in the wall? I'd go with stands because designing the proper soffit is not easy, I have been told.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

BIG

Post by brian beattie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:31 pm

These are my BIGGIE speakers. they're about 40" tall, with a 15" concentric speaker. I'll use my KRK's for near fields. My understanding is that flush mounting is the way to go for the big'uns. Am I nuts?
brian

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:32 pm

check out ethan winer's acoustics forum for this one. those guys over there should be able to help you out. the user bpape is particularly helpful and i know he has some knowlege on this subject.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:30 am

Just 'cause they're big don't mean they gotta be in the wall.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:00 am

Brian

Ask this one over here:

www.johnlsayers.com

There have been several threads on doing this very thing, including how to build an EQ circuit to compensate for the extra bass energy that happens when you soffit-mount freestanding speakers; is that Tannoy model built for soffit mounting? Look in the "Speaking of Speakers" forum.

Frank

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

THANK YEW!!

Post by brian beattie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:50 am

Frank, googacky, THANKS!! those are some treasure troves of info! Now I have to read and read and learn enough to ask questions correctly so those damn geniuses don't jump down my throat first thing.....
brian

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: THANK YEW!!

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:19 am

brian beattie wrote:Frank, googacky, THANKS!! those are some treasure troves of info! Now I have to read and read and learn enough to ask questions correctly so those damn geniuses don't jump down my throat first thing.....
brian
Brian,

I was not trying to jump down your throat. If I came off that way I apologize!
:)

My point was that
a) Soffit mounting is really easy to screw up (I have been told).
b) It?s not a requirement even if the monitors are big.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

you misunderstand...

Post by brian beattie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:53 am

no, I know YOu weren't being testy. Tapeop is the place where you can ask questions like a dummy and expect kindness in return. It's those OTHER places I worry about....
I'm building from the ground up, so I CAN flush mount, plus it will save me space, plus it is recommended again and again in the books I've read, Plus it's indicated in the half finished plans I'm working off of.
I'm not intending to soffit mount, which I interpret as being up above, with space open directly below the framing in which speaker is enclosed. I've heard this is difficult and problematic, and causes odd bass response very often.
I'm intending to flush mount, which I interpret as the front of the speaker being in the plane of the front wall, with only wall (apparently) directly below the front of the speaker. I've heard that this helps eliminate problems associated with quick reflections of the bass waves, which emanate more omnidirectionally from speaker cabinets, so therefore could be oozing out the backside, reflecting off of the front of your control room wall, and smearing your perception of the low frequencies from the mixing position. To this point, since I've been recording at home, I've only ever used smaller speakers in an untreated room, and now I'm building a bigger more "proper" control room, and I'll have my biggie tannoys, and I believe flush mounting would work well if properly implemented. I just don't know how to do it. The john sayers sight especially has lots of info on flush mounting, but I saw evidence of THROAT JUMPING on there, so I have to read and read, or they will treat me like the ignoramus I am. I must FOOL them into thinking I know something, so they will share more freely. The reason I've always loved tapeop is because you can ask anything you want without being spoke down to.
Anyway, peace and sausages.
brian

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:21 pm

Brian

I think the bulk of the jumping over there comes from not looking around a little first for previous replies to questions like yours. They generally seem like a civil lot, but have a bit less tolerance for repeating answers that may have come up before; the moderators tend to be more helpful when you've obviously read the FAQ or earlier posts and still can't find an answer. Good luck.

Frank

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:17 pm

Great advice guys! it's nice to see that outside of all the complainers elsewhere on this board that people are helping each other out like we intended!

Brian,
remind me to drop by during SXSW!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:29 am

It's a pretty big project for speakers that are on loan. Just a thought.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com