How 'bout Montreal?

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

How 'bout Montreal?

Post by TapeOpAndy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:57 pm

How 'bout McGill University in Montreal?
  • A very cool music dept with studios and gear.
  • A 650-capacity theatre.
  • More classrooms than we'll ever need.
  • In-house catering as well as a number of on-campus eating and reception facilities that can be reserved.
  • Staff of A/V personel who are very good at what they do.
  • Beautiful campus on top of a hill overlooking a beautiful city.
  • Easy to fly and/or drive to.
  • Lots of fun clubs and restaurants. Including many vegan choices for Hillary.
  • Music history.
  • Underage drinking!
  • Affordable event accomodations in dorm-rooms that are empty during the summer!!!!
  • Lots of top-notch hotels in walking distance of the campus.
  • And CANADA is the only place on earth where the US Dollar is still strong! So everything is CHEAP!
I've attended a number of conferences at McGill and was thoroughly impressed. At one conference, I even produced and engineered an electronic music performance in their main theatre, and the support that I received from the A/V staff was top-notch. Our only worry was the lack of stable power during the summer due to city-wide brownouts caused by overuse of AC... so the A/V staff scared up a bunch of voltage regulators for all of our/their gear--problem solved!

Contact Events Coordinator Debbie Yacoulis in Ancillary Services, Hospitality McGill for more details.

TapeOpCraig
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

Post by TapeOpCraig » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:28 pm

What about where the sponsors? Where do they fit in?
Craig S. Schumacher
WaveLab Recording Studio
Conference Director of TapeOpCon
520-241-5140

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Montreal is just as easy to get to by plane as New Orleans. (For those of us living in major East Coast cities, there are more direct flights into Montreal than New Orleans.)

If you're worried about Visas. Work permits are not required for foreign attendees, exhibitors, financial sponsors, delegates, or coordinators of a trade show held in Canada.

If you're worried about the sponsors bringing gear, there are a number of options.
  1. TapeOpCon can apply for "border-to-show" status and have all shipments to the convention cleared at the convention site. A customs agent will be posted at the convention site.
  2. TapeOpCon can hire a customs broker (shipping agent) to clear all shipments from the individual exhibitors. The shipping agent will walk all the shipments thru the CCRA (Canada's Customs agency).
  3. Each exhibitor can hire a shipping agent individually.
  4. Any equipment that is carried on the plane or packed in checked luggage can go thru regular airport customs.
The important thing here is that any equipment sent to the convention that comes directly back to the US after the convention will NOT be subject to duty. Anything that remains in Canada after the convention will be subject to 7% tax. The CCRA may ask for a deposit (equal to the tax) that will be refunded when the equipment returns to the US.

The CCRA is very much accustomed to dealing with goods going to and coming back from conventions in Canada. They're very friendly (despite being French Canadians!!! :wink:). And they understand the importance of bringing business $$$ to their country.

Heck, they're so business-friendly that the convention gets a tax-refund for almost all convention-related fees if 75% of the participants are not residents of Canada. How cool is that!

How do I know all this? As part of the music performance that I prod/eng'ed, I shipped about $50,000 worth of music and recording gear in six LARGE racks/cases to Montreal and back. It took me about 4 hours to fill out all the paperwork. The shipment took 4 days door to door from Boston to McGill. No taxes were paid, and all refunds were given in a timely manner.

Check out the official guide to bringing a convention to Canada from Canada Border Services Agency for more details on work permits, shipping, customs, taxes, rebates, etc.

And I'm sure McGill's event coordinator can also make suggestions as McGill has hosted many international trade shows in the past (including the ones I've attended).

ICBW, but my gut feeling is that any additional funds/hassle required to bring TapeOpCon to Canada will be offset by the savings of doing it there instead of in a major US city.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:18 am

You do know the US and Can $s are only 18c (Canadian) off of parity, right? :D

Here, have another straw. :lol:
WWRHS?

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:48 am

TapeOpCon in Montreal... I like that idea lots. Seems like there's a lotta good stuff coming from that part of the world these days.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:23 pm

Mark wrote:You do know the US and Can $s are only 18c (Canadian) off of parity, right? :D

Here, have another straw. :lol:
Yeah, that means for every $100 you spend, it's like someone is handing you a $20 bill. (Many things for which you'd expect to pay $1 in the US cost about $1 CDN in Montreal.) And after you get home and send in your tax rebate form, the country sends you another $7. That's a whole lot of straws.

I just came back from Iceland, where a sh*tty beer at a sh*tty bar costs the equivalent of $9 USD. Yikes! And in London, a crappy cocktail with less than a shot of weak "well" alcohol costs the equiv of $18 USD! To us Americans who travel regularly outside of the US, Canada seems cheap in comparison!

So yeah, I'd rather pick up a whole bunch of 18 cent straws so I can trade them in for a few cases of Fin du Monde.

My mom raised me to be a penny pincher!

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

mtl

Post by Roman Sokal » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:41 pm

andy's right on the $....i've always thougt of montreal as being a great amazing place to have a conference. for one, its different, quite different, than say bland toronto...montreal is as european as you're going to get in north america- great culture, bars, food, architecture and friendly residents. the only issue i could see about this all would be those of you in the US with criminal records...our border people love to nail you guys to the wall! best bet, don't be sketchy! all in all, montreal would be fantastic- and in june, lots of other stuff is going on there as well- with their world renonwn jazz, comedy fests etc etc

SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

Post by SeventhCircle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:21 pm

You know, I like this idea so much that I might be persuaded into buying some exhibitor space, but only on the condition that we go to Montreal. No kidding.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Wow. Who woulda thunk it? If this gets serious, contact send me a PM. I teach at McGill, though not in the music department. That said, Andy clearly knows more about setting up a conference in Canada than I do.

Montreal is awesome. Different Francophone vibe than NO, but they're of a piece.

Best,
--JES

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

great idea

Post by supafuzz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm

last time I was in montreal..got up early sunday morning was in the shower
when there was an earthquake....!!! about 3 years ago...
Great place
I vote for montreal
It's driveable from NYC
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:32 pm

I like the idea of traveling north in the summer.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:59 am

Count me in...Montreal is one of my favorite cities in the world, and this would be an awesome place for my first TapeOp con.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:03 am

+ good public transportation!

Im in!
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

re

Post by Roman Sokal » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 am

yep...great public transportation as well (subways!); fantastic bars, best smoked meat in the world (Schwartz's!) and the legal drinking age is 18...

mwingerski
pushin' record

Say yes to Terrance and Phillip!

Post by mwingerski » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Canada in the summer... hell yeS!

Montreal is a beautiful town.. boomin music scene... fun nightlife... a cousin of new orleans with its french heritage...

I'd be all over it...