WTB: Analog Delay

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

WTB: Analog Delay

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:15 pm

I want a digital and anaolg delay for my guitar chain. I can handle getting a Boss DD6, but I'm struggling to find a decent analog pedal.

I'm open to tape and transistor -based pedals. No Ibanez AD-9's, as I've heard nothing but badness about them. Something under $200 preffered.

If you don't have advice, but have suggestions, that'd be great. I've only ever heard/played with a Space Echo and an Echo Plex and a Mr. Echo (analog i think?!).

(Anybody with an Akai Headrush FS contact me as well. I'd like a looper, to top off the 2 delays - SAY NOISE BIATCHES.)

jim!

musicforscenery
audio school graduate

Post by musicforscenery » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:10 pm

have you looked into the electro harmonix deluxe memory man? i've been using one for about 3 years. the sound is much warmer than the dd5-6 and line 6 delays. and it looks like they're right around your price range.

as far as noisy loop/delay effects chains, for a time i was running a dd-5, memory man, rc-20, and boomerang. though easy to get carried away with, that set up was amazing for interesting textures. i've heard great things about the headrush though i've never used one myself.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:19 am

Arion SD-1 or SD-3, I forget. The pink one, they go for maybe 30-50 on ebay, use a bucket brigade chip. Amazing pedal.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:27 am

Girl Toes wrote:Arion SD-1 or SD-3, I forget. The pink one, they go for maybe 30-50 on ebay, use a bucket brigade chip. Amazing pedal.
I've got one of the Arion SAD-3 pedal, and it's cool for a cheap toy, but it can't really create a strong effect like the old Ibanez AD-9 I had borrowed for a year or so, 15 years ago. I know you said you've heard bad things about these, but I've heard (and experienced) nothing but good. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

Anyone know if the Ibanez reissue is nearly as good as the original?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:08 am

It be expensive, but what about the Moog?

http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=39

Can't get much more analog than that.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 am

b3groover wrote:It be expensive, but what about the Moog?

http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=39

Can't get much more analog than that.
Their making more??? With what chip supply, they don't even make BB's anymore. That is so over priced but I want it so bad. What can I sell???

Anyhoo, RE: ibanez post, I feel the same way about the Arion. Some people dont like it, but ive used it plenty, very happy.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:44 pm

if you go with a rack, you can get a great analog delay much cheaper.

if you need something that doesnt exceed 300ms or so, you might want to try the Ibanez AD-99. It's doesnt self-ocilate though.

I think the Memory Man is hit and miss. I don't like that for as much as it is, it's not a true bypass, but an actual line amp. That why I got rid of mine.

For lo-fi'er stuff, check out the little Johnson pedal. I think those are like 50 bucks.

boobs are life's fountain

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:38 pm

ottokbre wrote: For lo-fi'er stuff, check out the little Johnson pedal. I think those are like 50 bucks.

THOSE ARENT ANALOG!!! They are simulated. It doesn't say anywhere on the packaging, those guys are assholes.

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:39 pm

a moogerfooger would be great, but last time i checked they were maybe $700, right? OUCH.

I have heard mixed reviews of the original AD-9s, but the dish on the new ones is that they're terrible. usually i'd try it and come to my own conclusion, but with so many other analog delays out there, i may as well forget about the new AD-9 and move on looking for different one.

You guys are talking up those Arion's, so I'll have to check them out. And for $50, maybe I'll just go ahead and get one - not a big loss if I don't like it. At least i could keep it around as a toy.

jim!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:46 pm

Girl Toes wrote:
ottokbre wrote: For lo-fi'er stuff, check out the little Johnson pedal. I think those are like 50 bucks.
THOSE ARENT ANALOG!!! They are simulated. It doesn't say anywhere on the packaging, those guys are assholes.
sonofabitch!

wait, are you sure? they suuuuure are dark and crappy sounding like an analog delay!
boobs are life's fountain

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:34 pm

ottokbre wrote:
Girl Toes wrote:
sonofabitch!

wait, are you sure? they suuuuure are dark and crappy sounding like an analog delay!
I've looked inside. Pure digital. Biznatches.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:46 pm

I use an old analog Tokai that I really like. It's a clone of a hybrid of a boss dm-2 and dm-3 (both pretty cool as well). it's pretty warm and gritty, and fits what I do, at least. I like it enough to where I have seriously considered building a clone or two to modify.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:13 pm

I was just at Border's bookstore this evening and one of the guitar magazines had an article that compared 5 or 6 analog delay pedals. I don't remember which magazine but the article was mentioned on the front cover so it shouldn't take long to find it if you go to a music store, Borders, or Barnes and Noble.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 pm

I dunno if it's too big but you might be able to find a space echo for around 200. you can plug a footswitch into it to cut the delays on and off.

Will

jamesridge
audio school graduate

Post by jamesridge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:44 pm

I was in Home Depot the other day and ran across a 100ft rool of plastic tubing like you use for drainage runoff. I happened to be talking near one end and heard the most bitchen delay come out the other end. I think it was $30. :wink:

Jay