Burning CD's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tony moore
pushin' record

Burning CD's

Post by tony moore » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:00 pm

I've used Wavelab on my Mac for a long while. I've been using PTLE on a Windows PC at home and needed to burn some mixes so I used both iTunes and whatever the Windows Media dealie is called. They worked fine. But it got me really curious. Except for obviously more features, what does programs like Wavelab do differently than the likes of iTunes?

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:56 am

wavelab is a full-featured wave editor. iTunes is a jukebox. it's not even apples and oranges--it's apples and bicycles. they are completely different programs.

as for CD burning, software such as Nero or CD Architect would be something to look in to.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:08 pm

andyg666 pretty much said it.

To add a little more to the mix:

I use a Mac so the CD burning software, Roxio Toast Titanium. I don't like using iTunes or when I had a PC, Windows Media Player, for burning audio CD's. I could be wrong but if I export mixdown a song from my DAW into a WAV or aif file then import to iTunes or Windows Media Player, it converts it to an MP3. Then if I burn a CD from iTunes it converts it back to a WAV or aif file... I just don't like all that converting.

I like having stand-alone software that'll burn exactly what I drag and drop in its window.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm

AnalogElectric wrote:andyg666 pretty much said it.

To add a little more to the mix:

I use a Mac so the CD burning software, Roxio Toast Titanium. I don't like using iTunes or when I had a PC, Windows Media Player, for burning audio CD's. I could be wrong but if I export mixdown a song from my DAW into a WAV or aif file then import to iTunes or Windows Media Player, it converts it to an MP3. Then if I burn a CD from iTunes it converts it back to a WAV or aif file... I just don't like all that converting.

I like having stand-alone software that'll burn exactly what I drag and drop in its window.

-- Adam Lazlo
You can set up iTunes to import mixes as AIFF's, or you can simply leave them as Aiff or .wav files and add them directly to the itunes library. No conversion needed as iTunes supports more formats than just Mp3 or AAC.

As far as burning tunes at home, unless it is for production (duh) then iTunes is fine to make listeners for the band if you need to, just be sure you have the pref's in iTunes set to NOT convert to Mp3 or AAC.

Unless you are using a true PQ subcode editor, then whatever you can use to burn a CD will burn a CD. you can just do trickier things with PQ subcode editing which exists in many programs.

I just use toast for data and Jam for audio.

I also dont ever burn CD's for production, I leave that to mastering people...

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Joel, that answers my question!

Like I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't asking about features. I was asking if iTunes and the like did something fundamentally different in burning/writing a CD than Wavelab and the like. And like I said, I've been using Wavelab for several years, but using iTunes for informal stuff made me curious...

Thanks again!

Tony

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Waveburner

Post by Poppatwang » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 am

Emagic stopped upgrading Waveburner (rats) & it doesn't support the burner in my G4
I want to retire my old 7300 since I only need it for supporting Waveburner.
I'm shopping around for a complete in the box recording software setup.
Which of the biggies (Logic, DP, etc) have a utility that burns disk at once

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:43 am

I got Waveburner with Logic

Tony

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:08 pm

It used to be a stand alone software. They don't have an upgrade path for that.
I'm wondering if a similar program is incorporated into the competion.