Distortion/Fuzz Pedals

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Distortion/Fuzz Pedals

Post by musikman316 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:56 pm

Hey, it's great to have the TOMB back... anywho, on to the question.

I am looking for a fuzz pedal, I currently have a HAO Rust Driver, Voodoo Labs Distortion (not made anymore) and a Boss DS-1 that is sitting all dusty and unused waiting to be sent to Keeley (along with my Vox wah and my Line 6 DD)... but now I'm looking for a fuzz pedal and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The music is mostly noise/loops/free jazz.

Thanks!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:00 pm

can you afford a zvex fuzz factory? they are kinda pricey but really really cool. seem to hold their value exceptionally well also. all it is is a hybrid germanium/silicon fuzz face with pots for some of the important bias points in the circuit. It can definitley do that ooozey fuzz not quite to the degree, but awfully close to that sick fuzz that is on the guitar solo towards the middle of sly and the family stone sex machine.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Do a search for Aramat. They make some GREAT pedals that are not too pricey for boutique stuff.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:06 pm

this is a tough one cause there are 1000's of different fuzzes made between the 60's to present....
a really good fuzface from the 60's will NEVER be topped..
but.......
the Z.Vex is such a good modern fuzz that it's hard to top....it's everywhere somewhat on the pricey side....but sooo freaky
and its gonna be more reliable than a vintage...

i really like the fender blender too <reissued

ooohh the univox super fuzz looks cool and orange

and then there's always the big muff if you wanna keep the budget down...

here's a page that has 20 different fuzzes reviewed with samples

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/vintage_effects.html

segaface
steve albini likes it

Re: Distortion/Fuzz Pedals

Post by segaface » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:18 pm

musikman316 wrote:Hey, it's great to have the TOMB back... anywho, on to the question.

I am looking for a fuzz pedal, I currently have a HAO Rust Driver, Voodoo Labs Distortion (not made anymore) and a Boss DS-1 that is sitting all dusty and unused waiting to be sent to Keeley (along with my Vox wah and my Line 6 DD)... but now I'm looking for a fuzz pedal and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The music is mostly noise/loops/free jazz.

Thanks!
You might like one of these.

I picked up an original (not reissue) and it does the fuzz from "Satisfaction" like nobody's business. I like it much better than a Big Muff. However, YMMV.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:42 pm

There's definitely an abundance of great Fuzzboxes out there nowadays. ZVEX Fuzz Factory would be the first thing I'd look at. Prescription Electronics Experience pedal is very cool too. You might also have a look at Devi's stuff over at www.effector13.com - he makes lots of fuzzy things.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:08 pm

I am usually scoffed at for this, but I love the Zoom UF-01:

It's a very "clinical" fuzz, really versatile and "clean." In a dirty way, if that makes sense. Hmm, maybe it doesn't.

The other end of the spectrum for me is the EH Tube Zipper. I've had this for a few weeks, using it in my electronic/noise duo, and it's great. A distortion combined wtih a resonant filter and LFO. After listening to samples of the Roland Funny Cat, I must say it sounds quite like it.

Finally, if you like building stuff, make a 4ms/Commonsound Atoner. Here's mine, from the Commonsound site:

http://4mspedals.com/atoner/john_lennonbb.jpg

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:40 pm

The Frantone Peach Fuzz is really cool.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Seamus
audio school

Post by Seamus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

I like the Spooktone one-knob fuzzbox. Guy makes them out of his basement and they sell for about $70. Great tone. Davey Allen!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:19 pm

I really want the Demeter Fuzzalator. It's really two Fuzz boxes in one because it has two ciruits to switch between. A two Germanium and a two Silicone. So you can go flabby Fuzz Face to a tighter bottomed fuzz-distortion.
boobs are life's fountain

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:41 pm

inverseroom wrote:I am usually scoffed at for this, but I love the Zoom UF-01:

It's a very "clinical" fuzz, really versatile and "clean." In a dirty way, if that makes sense. Hmm, maybe it doesn't.
I was going to say this also. I heard it called the poor mans Fuzz Factory. It has a nice self oscillating feature that is great for making pure loud annoying noise. Also can't go wrong with a Big Muff.

Tim

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Distortion/Fuzz Pedals

Post by E-cue » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:04 am

musikman316 wrote:The music is mostly noise/loops/free jazz.

Thanks!
While I ditto the Fuzz Factory suggestions, for this style I'd suggest the Z vex Woolly Mammoth too. Thing is a friggin' monster on loops and bass. If you are more industrial/edgey, then maybe the Machine from Z vex. Obviously, when I think Fuzz, I think Zvex. Good stuff. Almost makes me wanna shave.

If you aren't locked into pedals, the "Burnt Transistor" preset in the Kurz Mangler (and KPS) is one of my more used wild distortions these days. One of those "get the hell outta my way" sounds.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:07 am

For bass, I tracked some of the sickest bass I have ever tracked with a Fuzz probe, and a fender twin.

Thats it.

H-U-G-E-Ness.

It is on the new Book of Knots record.... when that comes out I will post the song..... (the ballad of john henry).