New all-tube wah-wah by Roger Mayer apprentice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

New all-tube wah-wah by Roger Mayer apprentice

Post by ytbufflo » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:21 pm

In pursuit of the "perfect" all-tube guitar signal path, a company called Phatoob is producing an all-tube "Toob-Wah". It has 3 12AX7's and is rectified by a 5Y3.

It produces a huge tone and unique wah sound that can be manipulated from silky smooth to blistering distortion without changing any settings. How hard you hit the strings and the distance and speed with which you rock the pedal do the work.

A "deluxe" version does have a wide range of user controls available.

For more details go to:

http://www.phatoob.com

Lee Love worked on a daily basis with Roger Mayer back when Roger was living in NYC. Roger built a 3-D sound system Lee designed.
Last edited by ytbufflo on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Love
President, Chief Engineer, Builder, Marketer, Guy Who Sweeps The Floor at:

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:55 pm

are the sound samples on your site record direct or with a guitar amp?

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Re: New all-tube wah-wah by Roger Mayer apprentice

Post by ytbufflo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:10 am

The signal chain was a custom Roger Mayer guitar > Phatoob preamp > Phatoob Toob-Wah > 'the Stove", (1950's power amp refugee from ebay) > marshall 4 x 12 "1960" cab rewired to 4 ohms > Rode tube mics > protools

(PS: you may have to refresh the page a few times to get all the samples to download. New site. Still working on it.)
Lee Love

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:44 am

can you give an overview of the controls on the unit, I see 5 pots, right?

Are you using any of the small bottle tubes in cascading gain stages?

dave

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Post by ytbufflo » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:56 am

soundguy wrote:can you give an overview of the controls on the unit, I see 5 pots, right?
The circuit is a loop. All parameters affect each other. That said, the pot controls are: level, Q, gain, sweep range, intensity. There are also switches for toggling between inductors and "quacker" circuits as well as a stand by.
Are you using any of the small bottle tubes in cascading gain stages?

dave
Yes, the small bottle tubes are the 12AX7 amplifier tubes.

Lee Love

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:35 pm

Lee, is there enough power present in the circuit to sag the power supply?

probbaly not Id guess, but curious anyhow.

dave

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Post by ytbufflo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 am

soundguy wrote:Lee, is there enough power present in the circuit to sag the power supply?

probbaly not Id guess, but curious anyhow.

dave
Not sure I understand the question, but:

There's plenty of voltage in the power supply. It easily qualifies as a high-voltage unit.

Sag is another word for tube compression.

As I understand sag, it has more to do with current fluctuations than available power. The Toob-Wah circuit is built to create current fluctuations, all wah-wahs are. So current flux + tube rectifier + transformer + filter caps is just gonna have to = sag.

Put another way, I was going to build an all-tube compressor to go along with my all tube fuzz-box and all-tube wah. Bought all the parts. But I've never built it. I just don't need it.
Lee Love

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:29 pm

i was totally afraid of this thing when i saw it on CL last week, but now that i visit the site and see that it's snake proof up to 14-feet, my nerves are calmed.
boobs are life's fountain

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:38 pm

hi lee-

I was referring to current sag in the power supply, not wether or not you have a high voltage power supply for the circuit. Its my understanding that when an amplifier demands a higher level of current than the power supply is comfortable supplying, it stresses it causing sag. I dont have enough experience and am not smart enough to come up with a proper technical analysis of this, but I do know the sound. I have only experienced this, however, from output amplifiers generally at %80 or more power sagging a supply. Not knowing your circuit or the power supply you built for it, I was wondering wether or not there was enough power going on there to bog down the power supply. I dont necessarily think that current flux automatically results in sag from a rectifier. Also to my ears, different rectifiers have different sounding curves to them.

the wah looks interesting, just not quite sure of what its capable of doing. Do you have a dealer in the NYC area that has one in stock to demo?

dave

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Post by ytbufflo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:55 pm

soundguy wrote:hi lee-

I was referring to current sag in the power supply, not wether or not you have a high voltage power supply for the circuit. Its my understanding that when an amplifier demands a higher level of current than the power supply is comfortable supplying, it stresses it causing sag. I dont have enough experience and am not smart enough to come up with a proper technical analysis of this, but I do know the sound. I have only experienced this, however, from output amplifiers generally at %80 or more power sagging a supply.

Yeah, it sounded like a power amp question. That's why I wasn't sure how to answer it.
Not knowing your circuit or the power supply you built for it, I was wondering wether or not there was enough power going on there to bog down the power supply. I dont necessarily think that current flux automatically results in sag from a rectifier.
It does when it's a tube rectifier. Whether you notice it or not is another story. Did you hear somehting in the sound files that you recognized as sag?
the wah looks interesting, just not quite sure of what its capable of doing. Do you have a dealer in the NYC area that has one in stock to demo?

dave
Not yet. This is a one-man boutique shop. I AM interested in getting it into the hands of serious folks like you. I have a lot of confidence in it and don't think you'll be disappointed. Why don't you buy one and I'll give you 90 days from date of reciept to check it out. If you don't like it, return it in same condition for a full refund, no hassle. You can pay me through Paypal so you have all those checks on the money - and me. I've been using the same Toob-Wah since January with absolutly no problems, so I doubt you'd have to return it for any mechanical reasons,

But if you just don't like it after 90 days, return it. If you keep it, you'll have a totally unique, client attracting resource for your studio. I will extend this offer to anyone reading this forum. Tape Op readers are always people who care and generally prople who know. I'd really like to get their reactions to the Toob-Wah. Call me at 510 649 1813 with any questions.

Lee
Lee Love

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Post by ytbufflo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 pm

ottokbre wrote:i was totally afraid of this thing when i saw it on CL last week, but now that i visit the site and see that it's snake proof up to 14-feet, my nerves are calmed.
That picture has gotten more comment than anything else on my site. It is a real snake. It's an albino burmese python and it IS 14 feet long. I found it on the sidewalk one night, in a big glass box, with a note on it that said "please adopt me".

It was very thin and stunted then. Lots of big-ass rats later, it's 14 feet long and as big around as the average human thigh. Her name is Grizilda. At least that's what she says. She's really smart and tries to participate in everthing I do. I was working with the Toob-Wah, so she started crawling all over it. That snake-proof thing is not totally a joke. Big snakes try to crush practically everything they encounter. The Toob-Wah survived w/o a dent.
Lee Love

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:40 pm

ytbufflo wrote:
soundguy wrote:hi lee-

I was referring to current sag in the power supply, not wether or not you have a high voltage power supply for the circuit. Its my understanding that when an amplifier demands a higher level of current than the power supply is comfortable supplying, it stresses it causing sag. I dont have enough experience and am not smart enough to come up with a proper technical analysis of this, but I do know the sound. I have only experienced this, however, from output amplifiers generally at %80 or more power sagging a supply.

Yeah, it sounded like a power amp question. That's why I wasn't sure how to answer it.
Not knowing your circuit or the power supply you built for it, I was wondering wether or not there was enough power going on there to bog down the power supply. I dont necessarily think that current flux automatically results in sag from a rectifier.
It does when it's a tube rectifier. Whether you notice it or not is another story. Did you hear somehting in the sound files that you recognized as sag?

dave
Not yet. This is a one-man boutique shop. I AM interested in getting it into the hands of serious folks like you. I have a lot of confidence in it and don't think you'll be disappointed. Why don't you buy one and I'll give you 90 days from date of reciept to check it out. If you don't like it, return it in same condition for a full refund, no hassle. You can pay me through Paypal so you have all those checks on the money - and me. I've been using the same Toob-Wah since January with absolutly no problems, so I doubt you'd have to return it for any mechanical reasons,

But if you just don't like it after 90 days, return it. If you keep it, you'll have a totally unique, client attracting resource for your studio. I will extend this offer to anyone reading this forum. Tape Op readers are always people who care and generally prople who know. I'd really like to get their reactions to the Toob-Wah. Call me at 510 649 1813 with any questions.

Lee
This thread is scarily close to advertising, which I dont like at all.

Please feel free to discuss gear, but easy on the hard sell please....

I appreciate the offers and flattery, but when I also saw this in the BUY/SELL/TRADE it just started to feel a little advertiser-y....

Thanks.
-Joel the big jerk

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:47 pm

this thread is definitley spam but the product seems interesting enough to kick around a bit. There have been a few attempts at tube wahs in the past but nothing quite like this. Something tells me someone with $1k to spend on a wah migth take it a little more seriously if you spelled "tube" correctly, but maybe thats just me...

dave

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:49 pm

soundguy wrote:this thread is definitley spam but the product seems interesting enough to kick around a bit. There have been a few attempts at tube wahs in the past but nothing quite like this. Something tells me someone with $1k to spend on a wah migth take it a little more seriously if you spelled "tube" correctly, but maybe thats just me...

dave
If you werent jabbering about it I probably would have already locked it.... ;)

ytbufflo
audio school graduate

Post by ytbufflo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:33 am

soundguy wrote:Something tells me someone with $1k to spend on a wah migth take it a little more seriously if you spelled "tube" correctly, but maybe thats just me...

dave
A guy back in the '70's made a wah that was essentially all transistor with a tube stuck somewhere in the middle. He actually refuses to post sound files. But he DID trademark the name "Tube-Wah" He has already threatened me with w lawsuit for merely having the words "tube wah" on my site.

I tried to answer all your questions and make it as risk-free as possible for you - to the point of rousing Joel's ire..but..

Be real, Dave, the name is not what is keeping you from laying out $1000. Anyway, what you really want is the $2000 one. :-)
Last edited by ytbufflo on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lee Love