Ethan Johns

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Tubetone wrote:Ok now to my point, take a listen to the Kings of Leon latest album.....it fucking blows, sounds like a digi002 was used. It's thin, unfinished, gross sounding.
Wow, what a surprise! I really like the way it sounds. It sounds live, capturing the sound of Kings of Leon in the room really well. I like their songs. Not trying to start an argument, just surprised. But always room for different tastes.

And hey, at least you don't think it sounds like a Digi001 was used!! :D

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:28 pm

i thought the music sounded great too. I like most of the songs but i had to warm up to it definitely.
when i first played it through the Pc to hear it through the monitors, it came up in a player that was on the cd and it was playing at Mp3/quality and sounded awful. I had to open it manually into WMP for it to play at cd quality.
My friend commented that Ethan is more of a glorified engineer than producer. I think thats great since everything is so overproduced (in a bad way) these days.
He gets to work with some of the best probably because they like the fact that he is going to let them have more artistic input or control. The music he's involved with will be remembered alot longer than any modern rock song (nickleass, three doors drown) no offense to anyone who likes these bands. i actually like one song from both, but i like almost all the songs Ethan's been involved with

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:22 pm

llamaj wrote:My friend commented that Ethan is more of a glorified engineer than producer.
I think that sounds great too. That sounds like a supreme compliment. And when you are working with a band that has a distinct personality such as, in my opinion, Kings of Leon, you want to capture that as much as possible. Enhance it if possible, sure, but definitely not blunt it.

VioletMan
audio school

Post by VioletMan » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:46 pm

really? :)
Always yours, VioletMan