Do P-Powered Mics Need Warm-up?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Do P-Powered Mics Need Warm-up?

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:34 am

I know that you should warm-up both S/S and tube amps and outboard.

Do phantom-powered mics benefit from warm-up, also?

Specifically, I have a few Chinese LDC's and a C-1000S. Will a warm-up help preserve the circuitry, stabalize the sound, etc.?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:54 am

On a tech level, I dunno. I have never noticed a difference with a properly set up, fully functioning condenser mic as to how long i need to wait before singing...

I have never flipped phantom on and then hit record immediately, and the 29 seconds before we even do anything seems to be enough....

I dont know about longevity other than I doubt highly that any kind of "warm up" or stabilization period is needed for phantom power.

Hopefully a tech type person will either tell me i am an idiot and i have been doing it wrong for 100 years or not....

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 am

How long are you supposed to warm up tube pres anyway? Solid State? I hadn't heard you had to warm those up.

I've been guilty many times of flipping on my Hamptone Tube pre and immediately starting to record.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:56 am

I can only claim experience with tube guitar amps, but have noticed that the sound is "better" (thicker, richer?) when a tube amp has heated up for at least a half hour. Also, the sound becomes more stable, in the harmonic and tone sense.

I feel the same about the various cheap microphone pre-amps I use, but that is even more subjective, and may just be psychosomatic.

But like tubes work better and sound different warm vs. cold, and sound again different when real hot, I suspect that capacitators and maybe even chips have different sonic properties after a warm-up.

That said, phantom power is so low it might be the case that heat is barely a factor, although I wonder if the caps' "sonic properties" change a bit after they get power.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:41 pm

Everything changes once the piece of gear stabilzes, i know that, and hear it daily when i turn on some old tube thingy....

Phantom though... I dont think so, or at least it stabilizes quickly enough to be a non issue. IMO, if you have someting that takes more than 15 minutes to really be stable, re-cap it....