ilok ownership transferring

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

ilok ownership transferring

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:38 pm

anyone done this? it costs $100 - that's all i know. and i'm assuming you have to send 'em to ilok.com

any alternatives? i've got too many licenses on mine to transfer just the licenses...

:mrpink: hillary

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:07 am

If it is Waves, then get ready for a NIGTMARE. Those bastards dont talk to Ilok, which is really cool because you HAVE to own an iLok to frigging authorize your waves plugs!

When I transferred from one iLok to another, not even ownership, all my plugs xferred seamlessly except waves. Do it via the iLok website, it works quite well, actually.

The Waves stuff took me TWO MONTHS to get xferred after like 10 really, really frustrating/angry phone calls with their "tech support" (read: springer show argument line).

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:59 pm

can I tack on a related question here? I've never owned an ilok but the cheap plugs that come with the PT7 upgrade require one. they're 50 bucks and some one has offered to sell me an extra one for 20. Is there anything intrinsic about the ilok itself? I mean, can I buy his and load my own licenses on it?

thanks, sorry for the hijack.

Will

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm

syrupcore wrote:can I tack on a related question here? I've never owned an ilok but the cheap plugs that come with the PT7 upgrade require one. they're 50 bucks and some one has offered to sell me an extra one for 20. Is there anything intrinsic about the ilok itself? I mean, can I buy his and load my own licenses on it?

thanks, sorry for the hijack.

Will
I dont know, but I kind of dont think so. When i xferred the stuff Studio G owns to another iLok (owned by the studio) because our old one BROKE (because they are P's of S) I had a nightmare, and the reference to which iLok was which was done via the ilok's permanent serial number that shows up when you go to the "transfer license" part of the iLok website. It seems that the iLok serial is an intrinsic part of the iLok scene. Without that,, how would they prevent us all from just authorizing plugs to each others iLok's?

The whole thing SUCKS bunz, but whatever.... I guess that is the way it is. I would much rather just go back to challenge/response type thing as then there is not some totally lame 3rd party piece of plastic that is easy to break that then holds 5k worth of software hostage as they dont answer the phone and send stock shitty email replies to really intense pleas for help....

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:19 pm

here's my take on iloks...now a few days later and a few emails into the process.

1. ilok.com recommends that you put all of your iloks on one ilok.com account.
i cannot see why anyone would do this now that i know that it costs $100 to transfer the ownership of an ilok (including the licenses) to another ilok.com account.

seems like a better idea to keep one account per ilok if you plan on selling one. that way, you can just give away your account info, change all the personal info and let the new person upate it and give it a new password, etc etc.

2. it costs $25 to transfer one plug-in license from one ilok to another (either another ilok or another account i think). so if you have 10 plug-ins, it will cost you $250.

if you want to sell your ilok (and all licenses), expect to pay $100.
i'll let you know how long this takes...haven't finished the process yet!

it's insane. and kinda big brother-like...

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:47 am

Yeah, I think this is a classic case of punishing legal users through copy protection, and exerting control over a used market which they have no legitimate right to regulate.

That said, I bought two iloks, one for waves, and one for everything else. Assweeds.

--JES

mwingerski
pushin' record

Boneheads at ilok

Post by mwingerski » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:37 pm

I had a simliar problem a few months ago...
at that time, they didn't even have any info on how to transfer a whole ilok (only licenses) so it's only recently that they've realized that people would sell a whole ilok with everything on it...

I think the separate accounts idea is a good one if you don't plan on moving plug-ins around between systems...

I share an HD system and couldn't do that... but I do have to say, if you use your plug ins on different computers, the ilok is pretty cool.... unless you have to deal with the boneheads at ilok customer "service"... they're pretty weak...

good luck hil...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:32 pm

thanks joel.

I totally agree about the iLok. dongles are so 92. I really do not wanna go there but two plugs for 25 bucks?! vst wrapper + freebies is all I've ever really needed so maybe I should just stick with it. but 25 bucks?!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:47 am

What made me want to go on a multi state rampage was this:

If you have the iLok insurance thingy (the "zero" downtime BS they offer) your waves plug ins STILL ARE NOT COVERED!!!!!!

Someone correct me if they have changed this in the last 4 months. I almost smashed my phone on the floor when I found that out. After like 30 really long calls to both companies (as they seem to not want to call each other!!!)

Total, complete, bullshit.