first time recording by myself in a big studio..............

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

first time recording by myself in a big studio..............

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:05 am

I just got done recording my band's first ep of 5 songs on my own at the studio I intern (gimp) at called Great Western Record recorders. I think it turned out really well, even my boss thought it sounded nice. So, tonight as we finsished up the last overdubs, I realized that I didn't use any EQ at all on the whole record, It was just straight from mic, to pre, to compressor on bass and vocals (none on the drums) and then to 2 inch tape. It sounds nice. really nice. that is all.

justin

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 am

Congratulations!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:55 am

For what it's worth Justin, I never do anything but attenuate a signal going to tape. Mic > Pre > Tape, that's it. I save all the outboard and EQing for later. It has helped teach me a lot about how to get better source sounds and makes my recordings sound much more balanced in the end IMO.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: first time recording by myself in a big studio..........

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:50 am

JustinHedrick wrote:I just got done recording my band's first ep of 5 songs on my own at the studio I intern (gimp) at called Great Western Record recorders. I think it turned out really well, even my boss thought it sounded nice. So, tonight as we finsished up the last overdubs, I realized that I didn't use any EQ at all on the whole record, It was just straight from mic, to pre, to compressor on bass and vocals (none on the drums) and then to 2 inch tape. It sounds nice. really nice. that is all.

justin
Tell Mr.Talbott to come on to the board here... I meant to email him about it....

I am glad to hear the studio is rockin again in full swing....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:15 am

What a cool studio to be interning at. I'd just probably drool at the guitar amps all day.

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:35 am

joel hamilton wrote:
JustinHedrick wrote:I just got done recording my band's first ep of 5 songs on my own at the studio I intern (gimp) at called Great Western Record recorders. I think it turned out really well, even my boss thought it sounded nice. So, tonight as we finsished up the last overdubs, I realized that I didn't use any EQ at all on the whole record, It was just straight from mic, to pre, to compressor on bass and vocals (none on the drums) and then to 2 inch tape. It sounds nice. really nice. that is all.

justin
Tell Mr.Talbott to come on to the board here... I meant to email him about it....

yeah, matt should come on here. and yes, the studio is running again, the new configuration of rooms works out quite nicely. by the way Joel hamilton, the book of knots cd that i am told you were affiliated with is one of the coolest albums as a whole that I have heard in a long time.

justin

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 am

JustinHedrick wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:

justin

yeah, matt should come on here. and yes, the studio is running again, the new configuration of rooms works out quite nicely. by the way Joel hamilton, the book of knots cd that i am told you were affiliated with is one of the coolest albums as a whole that I have heard in a long time.

justin
Thanks man.

Wait till you hear the new book of knots.. I think you will be glad...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:51 am

Yes get Matt to come hang out. So the rebuild is cool? I need to take a drive down and see it.

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:56 am

the rebuild is really nice. it is more conducive (sp?) than before, plus it is a better use of space. i tell you what (in hank hill voice) when the cd is mastered, i will mail you guys copies, how does that sound? that way, you can give me some feedback, hurt my feelings, and drive me into seclusion where I will write my rock opera about a badger that loves cookies.

justin
Last edited by JustinHedrick on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:08 am

Just talked to matt.

Hopefully he can come complain here....