Any thoughts on the Shure 300 Ribbon?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Barry Jive
gimme a little kick & snare

Any thoughts on the Shure 300 Ribbon?

Post by Barry Jive » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:38 pm

Or what would be a good deal on one? How about on quieter sources (guitar? vox?....)

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:15 pm

ok...i've got one ($275) i think that' s about right....$300 tops
these are solid ribbon mics! my favorite by shure....
introduced 1952....Discontinued: 1982

thus far i've used it on vocals and rooms....
no close mics yet.... but i will

with quiter sources it benifits from a clean clear pre
but what ribbon dosen't?
it's comparable to the beyer m160 in that respect...
here's a link
http://www.coutant.org/shure300/index.html
check that damn link then hit the index and compare it to the other shure ribbons...
i was really humping to get a ribbon this summer and i found that site
it really helped me choose which one i wanted....

Barry Jive

Post by Barry Jive » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:36 am

Yeah, I found that site too. Lots of great info, but just wanted to hear a real person tell me to pull the trigger. Should be a fun, cheap, vintage mic that will temporarily satiate my desire for a ribbon. I've decided to pitch it to myself that I'm really SAVING 700 dollars compared to a Royer! SWEET!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out,

-Eric

More thoughts are, of course, welcome.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:57 am

I dig 'em. Been using it for a female vocalist lately, and she sounds great through it. Better for her voice than one of the Coles. I think I like the Coles or a Beyer better on guitar cabs. Alto horn and trumpet sounded very nice through the 300.

The 300 has an impedence switch on it. If the mic you ultimately buy has a background buzz to it, the first place to check is the cleanliness of this switch and the integrity of it's connections. My 300 has been quiet as a church mouse since fixing this switch. Good luck and enjoy it...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 pm

They are superb! I've got 2, and they always end up on something. I got them 5 years ago on ebay for $500 fer th' pair... Check out the shure 330 as well (or the 333 or the sm33). Hypercardioid ribbons. I've had a little more success with these on vocals. The hypercardioids have an interesting dip around 5-7k or so, good for nasally or piercing sounding vocalists.
It seems the 300 is not as as LARGE sounding as 4038's (I've never heard a royers). Largeness is only needed sometimes, however...My cheaper version of the LARGE sounding fig-8 ribbon is the oktava ml-16. it is FATASS. 500-600 bucks, usually. At least a few years ago it was....
Oh, and EXPECT to get it re-ribboned when you buy it, unless it's specifically described as "re-ribboned", or "working PERFECTLY". ($125 or so...) Then it will be a treat if it's not blown, but you'll be braced for the worst.
brian

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: 300

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:36 pm

brian beattie wrote:....My cheaper version of the LARGE sounding fig-8 ribbon is the oktava ml-16. it is FATASS. 500-600 bucks, usually. At least a few years ago it was..
Mmmm. ML-16.
beware bee wear

Barry Jive

Re: 300

Post by Barry Jive » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:08 pm

brian beattie wrote:They are superb! I've got 2, and they always end up on something. I got them 5 years ago on ebay for $500 fer th' pair... Check out the shure 330 as well (or the 333 or the sm33). Hypercardioid ribbons. I've had a little more success with these on vocals. The hypercardioids have an interesting dip around 5-7k or so, good for nasally or piercing sounding vocalists.
It seems the 300 is not as as LARGE sounding as 4038's (I've never heard a royers). Largeness is only needed sometimes, however...My cheaper version of the LARGE sounding fig-8 ribbon is the oktava ml-16. it is FATASS. 500-600 bucks, usually. At least a few years ago it was....
Oh, and EXPECT to get it re-ribboned when you buy it, unless it's specifically described as "re-ribboned", or "working PERFECTLY". ($125 or so...) Then it will be a treat if it's not blown, but you'll be braced for the worst.
brian
Nice deal on the pair. I got mine for 265 which I thought was equitable to both parties. The seller said it "sounds great" but it's from the 50s, so I'm prepped for the worst. Given his description I think it will be at least mildly functional. Any tips for spotting a stretched ribbon? Follow up question: Anyone you can recommend for the re-ribboning work?

-Eric