teac 80-8 reel to reel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

teac 80-8 reel to reel

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

i want to get an 8 track reel to reel to track drums onto to dump into my computer. and a guy who lives near me is selling a teac 80-8 machine in the neighborhood of $300, i guess it is serviced and ready to go. does anyone have any opinions on these or know how many IPS they run?

justin.

jpmorris
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: teac 80-8 reel to reel

Post by jpmorris » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 am

JustinHedrick wrote:i want to get an 8 track reel to reel to track drums onto to dump into my computer. and a guy who lives near me is selling a teac 80-8 machine in the neighborhood of $300, i guess it is serviced and ready to go. does anyone have any opinions on these or know how many IPS they run?

justin.
They run at 15ips. I'm not sure if the 80-8 can also run at 7.5 (the ITAM 805 could). I know the TSR-8 can't.

These machines were used commercially on "More than a feeling" by Boston. I don't know if they used DBX noise reduction or not. Some people say you have to have noise reduction for a format this narrow, others are happy without it. If you do decide you need NR, you'll probably want to get either one Tascam DX-8, or two DX-4s (probably easier).

Don't forget that the machine could be up to 30 years old, so check that it works first :). Apparently one of the things that go early on these machines are the relays, which are used for switching audio outputs between the sync and repro heads. You can just replace those, though.

enen
audio school graduate

Post by enen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:49 am

I have been using a Teac 80-8 happily for several years.

My particular 80-8 has not had any technical issues up to this point. I perform regular maintance on it (cleaning tape track before each use, de-maging regularly and a qualified technician for alignment). So far no issues with relays or any other technical problems. I have noticed that my heads are starting to have less 'head surface' on them (from wear) and I perceive a definite change in the sound (less high end).

For the music i generally record (rock and roll), the tape speed / tape hiss equation is acceptable. The music's dynamic / volume generally mask the tape hiss inherent with the tape speed. I have the noise reduction module but never use it. When I have recorded more sparse music (i.e. singer / songwriter with guitar and no backing band) the tape noise is very noticeable, but acceptable to me.

My situation is a little different then yours though as I track, mix, and mix to 2 track in the analog world. This method has certain defined parameters that I accept, i.e. more noise, less tracks. maintance, etc but I enjoy.

I would say the 80-8 would impart a colour to your recording chain, the sound of 1/2" tape @ 15ips. If that's what you are looking for the 80-8 delivers in spades. It's an old beast that you have to be aware of what it's limitations are and what you need to do to get a sound you like out of it.

That said, i just upgraded to a Otari MX70 1" 16 track and matching board..... anyone want a 'state of the art' late '70's demo system?

My 2 cents

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:32 am

well said, enen. and, congrats on the otari.
beware bee wear

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:13 am

sounds like something I would really like. I'm assuming they sound better than cassette tape deck, right?

justin

jpmorris

Post by jpmorris » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:20 am

JustinHedrick wrote:sounds like something I would really like. I'm assuming they sound better than cassette tape deck, right?
justin
Given that it will be running about seven times faster, and that each track will have the same width as a whole side of cassette, I'd say yes :)

enen
audio school graduate

Post by enen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't like to make declarations as to what is 'better' as it is all in the way you use it.

All things being equal (signal chain, room acoustics, experience, etc...) you would get desirable tape characteristics from a 1/2" 8 track. That being said, you can also get different (equally valid) desirable tape characteristics from a 4 track cassette machine (or a 2" 16 track for that matter). Saying which would be 'better' can be left up to those who like to debate those type things.

If you have access to a system (and the recording technique / skills) that will allow you to track to the 80-8 in a way that takes advantage of the strengths / limitations of the format and then get it into the computer (again having a system / technique / skill blah blah) then I think you will find that a Teac 80-8 will provide the sound of a Teac 80-8 / 1/2" tape @ 15ips..... it's up to you to make it sound good.

If i was to go out on a limb, i would say... if you can afford it and the machine looks to be mechanically sound and you want to add the sound of tape to your recording and you are willing to put the time and effort into getting the best sound out of your tools then go for it.

I don't know if that was the type of answer / advice you were looking for but my 80-8 has always done right by me.

enen
audio school graduate

Post by enen » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 pm

joeysimms - Thanks....

.....oh and i can't wait to get the new system set up.... so many tracks I won't know what to do.....

enen

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:14 pm

enen, you answered my questions completely. for rock music, i think I will take the plunge.

p.s. i've had experience w/ a 2" 24 track MCI/sony deck, so i am familiar with tape. not saying that I think they will sound alike, i am just familiar with tape, that is all.

justin

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:06 pm

i had one for a while, sold mine and switched to computer.

it was one zillion times easier to use an 80-8 to make a good sounding rock record than my digital setup.

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:25 pm

cool. i will be selling some stuff soon. :D

somniferum

Post by somniferum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:47 pm

I have a TEAC 80-8 as well, though I haven't really done any recording with it yet (waiting to make cables for the NR unit). $300 is a fair price, as long as everything is working. Expect to sink some additional money into it though, so you might want to budget a bit extra to cover any potential repairs. I had to replace a few things on mine, such as bad relays, switches, etc. The 80-8 is a really well built machine, and IMO better quality build than its successor, the 38. Parts are in somewhat short supply, but aren't too pricey when you can find them. (I remember seeing brand new heads go on ebay some time ago for around $200 or a little less).

PS It's good to be back! :D
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut