yamaha 2404 mixer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

yamaha 2404 mixer

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:44 pm

anyone ever use one for recording? what did you think of it?

man i love this board,
justin

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:42 am

I have this one. It's an alright mixer, the routing is not bad. The eqs are the greatest things in the world, but they work. Although, I have liked it better than the vlz mackies that I've used.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:11 am

At work we have the Yammie 1604II and 2404II- I used to use them a lot for corporate AV work and they were OK, nothing special. I used the 2404 in a makeshift rig to do some rough mixes once, and was not happy. It sounded thin and crispy, and it really doesn't want to see +4 on the XLR inputs (which are supposed to be able to take line signals, but the electronics on this thing have NO headroom at all).

Then we got a Midas Venice, and you pretty much have to put a gun to my head to make me use the Yamahas now. I'd rather have a Mackie 8 buss than the 2404. The EQ on the Venice makes the Yamaha sound like a rusty saw (high end) or a wet pillow (lows). Overall it's MUCH cleaner and more flexible. We're buying a second Venice so I don't have to use the Yamahas anymore when the first Venice is in transit. We'll probably keep them as spares (because they're not worth selling) but once the second Venice arrives I'll never use the Yamahas again.

The Venice isn't perfect, but it really illustrated what a crappy sounding, low headroom POS the Yamaha 2404II is.

So, I don't really like it. For recording, I'd much rather have a Tascam 2600 or Soundcraft Spirit Studio.
Steve Albini used to like it