Amps for Recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:03 am

Gibson GA-5 Skylark....crestline series... ($140) 5 stinking watts

i tested my beyer m160 in front of it monday and HOLY Crapatoni
it REALLy freaks out with a clean boost or drive pedal infront of it...
i've got a ceramic 10" and a alnico 10" that i switch around sometimes
the alnico is warmer..and the ceramic is crankier....
both good for fun....
those old gibsons sound cool and don't have the fender price...

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:10 am

I have a fender blues jr (tube), a gretsch rogue (solid state), and a trace elliot vellocette (tube). I get a little different sound out of each one. I like them all very much!

Jason

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:12 am

rolandk wrote:
LifeInTime wrote:I am curious if anyone uses this:
http://www.smokeyamps.com/
I have one. People rave about them but honestly I don't really like it that much. Might be cool for a special effect but not a main guitar track. YMMV, of course. I may have blown the speaker playing bass through it.
have you tried them with different speakers? they sound cool driving big speakers and medium speakers.. i love my smokey on a 4x10 and on like an 8"

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm

I have a '64 Princeton Reverb that I use a lot, and also a very cool rare Danolectro Pioneer Model 15 amp from '53- for better or worse it's the first amp built with a separate gain control and master volume. It has a really cool range of distorted tones for guitar, amplified harmonica and vocals. I really want to get a Magnatone next.

Bill

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 pm

My main recording amp as of the last couple years is a Bad Cat Mini Cat combo. I've been loving the flavor of it paired with single coil guitars. I've also been using my AC30 more now that I have a Royer R-121 to tame the "spikes" (Royer 121/AC30 combination highly recommended BTW).

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:46 pm

minicats are a really cool shortcut to an el84 classic "class a" guitar sound. Its super cool having one of those around. Soooo incredibly well made too.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:38 pm

for recording i recomend this...had a chance to try one in holland while gigging there for a couple of days...its hand made, excelent components, most of it goes under 400 bucks...email the guy and he'll reply with a friggin testament of thougths about what you asked..really comited..i'll be getting mine one day..

http://fab.stuff.home.comcast.net/

if not, on the cheap, idd check out the new epiphone valve junior..upgrade the speaker to a weber or something, some JJ tubes, and you have yourself a great amp for sure..it'll be my next buy, i cant stand my hotrod deluxe anymore.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:50 pm

I haven't compared it to any other small tube amp but my Epiphone Valve Junior sounds pretty cool. Class A, 5 watts with and 8 inch speaker. It's also got a speaker out connection that'll drive a cabinet. If you don't have a tube amp and you don't have a lot of dough get one. $120.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:03 pm

Meriphew wrote:My main recording amp as of the last couple years is a Bad Cat Mini Cat combo. I've been loving the flavor of it paired with single coil guitars. I've also been using my AC30 more now that I have a Royer R-121 to tame the "spikes" (Royer 121/AC30 combination highly recommended BTW).
I tried out a Mini Cat and was prepared to be blown away. It was definitely cool but I was expecting a bigger fatter sound. Was I just expecting too much out of a single 8" speaker because it said BadCat on the front? Maybe.

I love my 1962 Supro Super. 8" Jensen, low wattage, great clean and can bark/growl when you turn it up. You can get them cheap too. (well compared to a champ of the same vintage...)

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:19 pm

linus wrote: I tried out a Mini Cat and was prepared to be blown away. It was definitely cool but I was expecting a bigger fatter sound. Was I just expecting too much out of a single 8" speaker because it said BadCat on the front? Maybe.
nah, its what they sound like. Its a single ended el84, that aint ever gonna make a fat sound at all. when cranked full bore it sorta sonds like a fuzzface believe it or not.

checking out those fab amps on that guys site, holy shit is that a deal.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:37 pm

i love the pro jr. that amp rules. it is teh only way i've been able to get that ellusive 'driven yet sparkly' tele sound without any shralping harmonics.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:22 pm

soundguy wrote: checking out those fab amps on that guys site, holy shit is that a deal.

dave
dave,

these are a very well kept secret..he takes a while to make the amps cause he's always swamped with orders, but they're def worth it. i have this crazy plan, like 2 independent preamps in one combo, one set for tweed breakup, the other one for twin clean...crazy triode action too, like he can make them go from 40 watts to 5, stuff like that...its very very convinient...he also has a new internal headphone amp thingy, its exclusive or whatever...

anyway, i can't wait for mine.

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:59 pm

Bedrock BC-75 2x12 combo. Its like a Vox AC series amp with 4 el34's in the power section. It gets loud, VERY VERY LOUD, but guitar amps are supposed to be loud. The Bedrock goes from crystal clear to balls out blistering, with probably the best built in reverb I've ever heard in a guitar amp. Good luck finding one, I will never let this one of my hands, it just does so much, its does the job of three or four other amps. If you can find one get it!
As for low powered amps, I really like the Wollensak T-1500 reel to reel with the tape parts gutted hooked up to an EV 12" speaker. I even use the sWollensak sometimes to record acoustic guitar (ones with a pickup of course) for a unique sound. These tube reel to reels can be had on ebay for as little as $5.

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:57 am

i second the bedrock. i used to have an old bc-75. it's the only amp i've ever regretted letting go. but it was just too loud and i personally am sold on 15-20 watt amps.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:37 am

Iv'e been using these a lot..some of these aremt low wattage..

Traynor yba-1a with traynor 60's upright 2x15 cab with one speaker disconnected..Music Man HD210(2x10) with original speakers and transformers..Kalamazoo Model II..Music man HD130 with custom 4x10 cab..Vox Pathfinder..Speaker amp from the Voice of Music 710 RTR (my fav tone for keys and some guitar)..Marshal JCM 800 and 900 and marshal satck..princeton reverb..champ..gibson firebird..