Amps for Recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:12 am

I've got a Peavey Classic 20 that is nice for recording.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:28 am

My small amps:

Rickenbacker M-10: 1959, class A, gets the "Honky Tonk Custard Pie by the River" tones. Very cool, and rules through a 2 x 12" open-back cab.

Kustom TRL12: kinda dumb, nasty S/S but it's red tuck-n-roll looks cool.

Electar 10: two-trick pony tube amp (altho' I have heard it can be improved with different speakers and tubes, I've only had it a year and not gotten to it) doing a weird hybrid S/S-tube fuzz sound, or an OK dark jazz/blues sound.

Harmony 1080: (1986) S/S with a tremolo that makes an OK but odd rhythm-fill amp.

Peavey Audition 110: with "transtube" is actually a very useable S/S with a fair "tube" sound. You can find these pretty cheap and it is surprisingly versatile and recordable.

Mini-Mouse: stupid 6" battery/wall-wart powered clean amp that was my first ever (1970's?). Now that I've blown about 3 speakers in it I keep a blown Rat-Shack speaker in it and occasionally use it for it's truly crappy sound.

Zeus Mini: the old Randy Rhodes thing that I think Reeves Gabrels also uses. It's kind of like a smoky, but in an anodized alum case, is kind of loud witha 2" speaker and sounds amazing through a cabinet.

Various Epi, Fender, mini-amps: The ones that look like mini versions of famous amps? Tweed covered? Why did I buy these expecting them to be anything other than slightly amusing book-shelf decorations?

Pro, Jr.: These suck, do not buy them, do not record them, too many people already know about them, you do not want one, you are feeling sleepy, send yours to me.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.