Help me decide which plug-in to get

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Help me decide which plug-in to get

Post by Studio2roll » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:39 am

Hey now. I'm looking at getting myself an x-mas gift here for the studio. I don't have too much cash to throw around, but Im considering getting 1 of these 3.

1.Analog Channel LE
2.Compressor Bank LE
3.Abbey Road/Chandler EMI compressor plug-in

Now I've used compressor bank before and liked it alot, but not CB4 which is what the LE version is. I have the Blue Tubes bundle, and they seem to model a lot of the same units. Has anybody AB'd them and have a preference?

Analog Channel LE I know is only the tape saturation part. I also have T-RackS(plug-in version) which can do its own simulation of saturation, even though its not exactly designed to do soley that (which AC is). Would the difference between the quality (on these two plugs I'm not asking for comparisons to actual physical tape or complaints for using digital sims) be great enough that AC would be the way to go?

I got a really sweet demo of the Abbey Road plug-in at AES. It doesn't come out till january, but that would give me some time to save some money for it since its like 3x more expensive then my other 2 choices.

I'm running a mobile project studio working mostly with rock/blues/metal bands and indie-movie/video sound design/foley. I have a Digi002 (control surface, not rack) with PTLE 6.4 on a G4 laptop and an octopre(full version) with the ADAT option and a great mic closet. Right now as far as plug-ins go I'm mostly using T-rackS (I like using the eq/comp/limit seperated on different tracks for certain sounds), Blue Tubes Bundle, and Bomb Factory's BF1176. I'm not a huge fan of the waves plugs(and they're too expensive to buy if you're not in love with them). I prefer the analog modelers, even if it's not exactly cloning the machines as they claim, they still sound better than the ones that aren't analog modeling.

I appreciate any insight into this choice from y'all. Thanks for taking the time.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

mwingerski
pushin' record

Some thoughts

Post by mwingerski » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:31 pm

Depending on how much you're thinking of spending over the next few months, I'd recommend a few things...

First off, check out the new free compressor that Digi just released today... it's actually pretty decent... and it don't cost nothing... that and the eq3 they put out, they have a pretty decent lineup goin on...

Also... you may want to consider upgrading to PT 7 and getting the Upgrade Plus which comes with 2 free plug ins... Smack is a pretty decent compressor and for only 50 bucks extra, you'd be getting a pretty good compressor plus one other... (I forget what else is on offer with that... synchronic, Digi noise reduction, Pultec bundle and Slightly rude compressor... )... pretty decent for 99 bucks... and it might do the trick for your plug-in lust...

and then you could save up some extra dough for a nice single channel or stereo mic pre or something, which will do way more for good sounding work than any plug-in...

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:40 am

Thanks for the advice.

With the upgrade to PT7 LE you need to have OS 10.4 to run it, which I don't have and aren't extremely interested in spending dough on yet. At least until the kinks get worked out of the system.

But if I bought the upgrade could I just use the free plug-in bundles (pultec,smack,etc.)with PT6.4 LE on OS 10.3.9?

I got the Dynamics III, it sounds good. Im particularly impressed with the gate, That and EQIII are big improvements over their digi-rack predecessors. But doing blind ABing on the EQ and Compressor it still doesn't have the kind of sonic signature I'm looking for and I'm fairly certain I can get it from one of the three I mentioned having heard them all, just not on my own gear. I just don't know which I want.

As far as mic pre's go I'm actually pretty happy using the Octopre. I haven't heard much talk about them for vocals, but combining a good quality ribbon mic and using the built in dynamics knob can really make a voice pop out like you're in the room with it.

Again, thanks for taking the time.
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth