Choosing Interface, Cubase, PT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Choosing Interface, Cubase, PT

Post by drew w » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:58 pm

I'm getting ready to start doing a bit of computer recording and would like some on some of the gear I'm considering. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

My needs and set-up are...
I'm using a mini-mac 1.42, 512, 80 with few other demands on it except, email, a few pics and music.

I'm hoping to be able to do some drum track editing which I'd like to record onto the comp from my drum machine and other sources and would like to import midi info along with.

I'd also like to do some project recording of spoken word and sketches/demo tracks of songs. And to do some very basic mastering (topping and tailing, consistent volume, etc.). For projects that are going well, I'd like to be sure the soundfiles are in a format easily usable at other studios that may not be using the same software, etc.

I already have a soundcraft mini mixer with loads of i/0's and mic pre's so I don't necessarily have to have an interface with pre-amps.

Budget...low! Up to $299

Some questions...

USB vs. Firewire? I'm tending towards firewire...any thoughts?

How usable is garageband for the purposes above?
If I have garageband files, would I be able to transfer them into pro-tools or similar formats later?

Most of the interfaces come with some software. What's the best/worst and most usable/transferrable to other studios? I've heard good things about cubase and have used PT. Limited editions of both are available with some interfaces. ??

Has anyone tried the new Alesis interface? everywhere I see it for sale, it's on back order and/or there's no actual photo of it...just a graphic. Wondering if this thing is still a prototype?

If I do get an interface with mic pres...what are the best/worst pre-amps on budget interfaces?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:roll:

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:08 pm

Firewire is generally considered to be better than USB for recording interfaces, however there is USB stuff that is plenty usable.

If you already have pre-amps, then don't buy an interface with preamps. Given that you are on a fixed budget, this would only lead to getting an interface with reduced quality converters.