Tannoy Ardens

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Tannoy Ardens

Post by brian beattie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm

Anyone heard these? A Late 70's dual concentric 15" speaker... A GOOD friend has offered to loan me a pair for my biggie speakers in the studio I'm building. I know nothing about speakers. I've beeen monitoring for a hundred years on my KRK prototype cube shaped things that don't even have a model #.
brian

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:33 am

Is anyone familiar with ANY 15" dual concentric tannoys here?
brian

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:40 am

Yes! I have a pair of the Tannoy System 15 DMT II and absolutely love them. On great recordings they sound truly wonderful and on everything else you hear the flaws. Very precise imaging & an effortless presentation. I'm powering mine with a Bryston 4B SST Pro amp. I really can't wait to hear them after they are soffit mounted in my Wes LaChot designed control room (late 2006 hopefully). I'm planning on getting a pair of Tannoy Gold 15s for my home system after my studio is built.

Bill

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:49 pm

Hi bill
so, yours are much newer than the ardens. I've got a geometry problem with the ardens, as they have low bass ports, and the speaker near the top. I want to flush mount mine as well, but my wall space is not quite ideal for these speakers. The only way to mount them is to either have the bass ports aiming towards the back of my console ( about 5" below the back of my console..), or to mount them upside down, with the bass ports on top. Is this possible? Will my music sound upside down??
boink
brian

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:18 pm

FWIW I've seen photos of Tannoys in the control with the bass ports above the drivers. I don't know if that is how some Tannoys were designed to be used or not.

Bill