Old U87

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AidO)))
ass engineer

Old U87

Post by AidO))) » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:00 am

Yoski,

So i got my hands on an old U87 (bout 20 years so im told) ,theres no AI intials after it,so is there much of a difference, to recent models???
Thing is though,theres a problem,with the mic! Loadsa noise & very low signal...its free so,would it be worth getin fixed (if possible)??
I DONT CARE ABOUT A 00G.A.Y!!

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 am

so,would it be worth getin fixed (if possible)??[/B]
Yes, get it fixed.
Just be careful with your use of compression, the jury is still out on it being this seasons' tool of cool :shock:
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

AidO)))
ass engineer

Post by AidO))) » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:25 am

wintershed wrote:
Yes, get it fixed.
Just be careful with your use of compression, the jury is still out on it being this seasons' tool of cool :shock:

:D whaaaaat are ya talkin abooot??? :shock:

linus
re-cappin' neve

Re: Old U87

Post by linus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:28 am

AidO))) wrote:...its free so,would it be worth getin fixed (if possible)??
You got a Nuemann U87 for free and you are wondering if it is worth fixing????

No, it's NOT worth fixing. In fact you should just send it to me. :D

Yes, by all means get it fixed. It will probably rock your world but if it isn't really your cup of tea (or the tool of cool) then sell it to get a mic that IS your cup of tea/tool of cool.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:36 am

Sorry, I was just kidding about a 'to compress or not' thread.
Fix that U87! Even if it cost you $500 its still a steal. Its one of THE MICS to own and use. Your lucky. Free is everyones favorite price. And I have read people saying the pre AI models are better anyway. Wanna trade for an ARP Quadra? :D
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

AidO)))
ass engineer

Post by AidO))) » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:27 am

wintershed wrote:Sorry, I was just kidding about a 'to compress or not' thread.
Wanna trade for an ARP Quadra? :D
I know you were messin'!! I just felt left out,cos i hadnt a clue :cry:
But the ARP...that looks crazy, why would you ever wanna part with that (your excuse cannot be for a U'ie)

Anyways,it turns out this guy has gained knowledge to the fact that he can earn some money outta me for this,therefore no free-bee!!!
I dont mind,both here & GS all seem to agree that i should take this on...so i will!!
But help me barter here...ive to do a few tests on it,if its the capsule,it could be anything from 500-750 dins to get it fixed!!My Q is,how much would a broken mic like this be worth (i dont mind payin a 'fair price') & would i be best to go straight to Neumann or someone who cares aboot mics like as if they were their own lil-babies!???

Go raibh maith agat!!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:31 am

Neumann has said that they no longer want to service their very old microphones because they clog up the service techs who should be coverig warranty work. I'm not sure if the 70s vintage U87 falls in that category since they do still build the mic, albeit in the Ai version. If they don't, you could check with www.korbyaudio.com or perhaps with Microtech Gefell or BLUE mics.
As for the pricing, it's a bummer that the guy changed his mind on free. I think the going rate on an original U87 is still around the $1,000 mark in good working condition. If the repair estimate is somewhere between $500-750, and the guy thought 'free' anyway, I'd say you could pretty fairly say you'll take the high side of the estimate at $750 and pay him the difference of $250 that he might make reselling it on eBay. If the repair comes in cheaper but you don't like the mic, you can still sell and make some money.

-Jeremy