CD recorders?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

CD recorders?

Post by soundhack » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:55 am

Any opinions on CD recorders? I'd like to have one as a backup recorder. We frequently present live concerts in our studio (and record them) with little opportunity to recover from tech problems - a good backup stereo recorder would be a big help.

Machines I'm considering are the HHB Burn-it Plus and the Tascam CD-RW2000. I do like the Tascam's ability to handle higher sample rates. Any opinion on the quality and reliability of these units?

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:13 am

I've had a Burn-It Plus (830) for about six months, and before it the 850 for six years. Always does a smashing job, great with all the various I/O.

But the ability to record a 24-bit CD sounds better and better all the time, that's what I'd be hankering for...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:00 am

I've owned two of the HHB's so far and have been nothing but pleased. Worked the first one into the ground and got many years and many burns out of it. Donated it to a buddy who plans to fix it. Bought another a year ago and it's a damn reliable workhorse.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:59 am

I have a masterlink and a sony dc-r w33 24bit machine..they both are great..the masterlink has the hard drive and AES i/o though..the sony has a better physical drive and dsp and probably better conversion too..I use the masterlink as a transport only, sandwiched between Lavry converters..great results..

there is a new tascam one on the market wich does different stuff as well..never used that one though..

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:21 pm

I've not been very pleased with my Tascam. It's been cranky since day one, reading some discs, not others, finalizing some, not others, etc. I'm sure I could have sent it in for some work or calibration, but...

To be fair and clear, I own the CDRW5000 which is an older model.

judecca
takin' a dinner break

Post by judecca » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 pm

older hard disk recorders (like a fostex d-160) have become so inexpensive. i think i'd lean that way for the same amount of $$$. then you've got a multi-track backup for less than buying a burn-it.

ryan
"what burns metal, burns hands"

Tonelab Studios
Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems
ryan@tonelabstudios.com
www.tonelabstudios.com