Upgrading from Behringer Truth B2030As

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mandolin
audio school graduate

Upgrading from Behringer Truth B2030As

Post by mandolin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:47 am

I have been using these Behringer monitors for the past few years and still have no luck learning how they translate.

I don't have much $ so would upgrading to something like the KRK Rockits be that much of an improvement?

Sincerely,
Todd

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:16 pm

yes.. upgrading to a pair of muskrats with rca cables soldered into their butts would be a significant improvement over what you've been using.. but seriously, the rockits are good for the price

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:47 pm

love the krk rockit series, too.

rich

Jon~T
gettin' sounds

Post by Jon~T » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Check out my recent review of the Yamaha HS50Ms, I've just upgraded from the B2030A to these.

http://www.audiogeekzine.com/?p=1139

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm

How's your room? The Truths are surprisingly OK; not a Behringer fan but these speakers work well, if a bit bright.

The room you are in is far more important than the speakers you are using. I'd rather use my Truths in a treated room than my Dynaudios in an untreated room, and it's not even close.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 am

lionaudio wrote:yes.. upgrading to a pair of muskrats with rca cables soldered into their butts would be a significant improvement over what you've been using.. but seriously, the rockits are good for the price
First laugh of the day.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 am

I use the ADAM A7's in my home studio. I'm really picky about speakers and have owned a lot, but these have been proving their worth for several years. We're talking $1,000 for a pair, and I will tell you it's well worth it as you won't be searching for new speakers in 6 months if you go for some "budget" option. -LC

http://www.adam-audio.de/studio/nearfield/a7_data.htm
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 pm

I picked up the Rockit RP5G2's about 3 or 4 months ago.
They aren't the be all end all, but they sound damn good for $300. Or more importantly they sound ugly in all the places I need to pay attention to. They don't get rocking loud. They dont go sub low. The mixes so far are translating pretty well, with the caveat that they seem to have a pretty steep crossover notch around 2.5k? Still not as bad as most other monitors out there.

My next choice would be the JBL 4326 or the above mentioned Adams.
I didnt like the A5's when I heard them. Kinda harsh actually.
The yamahas sounded pretty boxy and tubby when I have tried them. Though I guess that would force you to work hard on that low mid which can be trouble in most mixes. Though if you want low mid I think it would be annoying.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

dubh dubh dubh
gettin' sounds

Post by dubh dubh dubh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 am

Whoo I'm with Mr. Larry on the A7's- though I don't have 'em myself til next month. The $ can take awhile to get to with this clawing addiction we all have :roll: , but they just sound 'right' to me. Jeez the midrange detail, the smmmoooth tweeters... and the mixes I've done on these have gotten me more work :D . I know the A7's will be a leap in price but I think you'd be seriously stoked using these.

Just like any monitors a'course the room and speaker placement factors really overrule everything. Re: the post by JWL, oh lordy I've gotten fantastic results with 90$ m-audios in a neutral room, and horrifyingly bad mixes on stupidly$$$ genelecs in a 'pro' studio that had the ugliest room-mode slop possible... it's reeeaally simple to improve the sound/response qualities of just about any room, totally DIY and cheap. ANywoo, yep they are $1k but they just seem to give more detail and flat-out truthful reproduction than a load of monitors many times more dough. I'm about drooling waiting for 'em. And don't even get me started on the bigger Adams... I'd trade a kidney for a pair of S3's... blood type AB! anybody? anybody??
http://tinyurl.com/fbookDUBH and

I mix/engineer/produce/reduce & make gear heinously misbehave in delightful ways.

parkinson's:it's not just for grannie anymore.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/living.cfm

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:14 am

I mixed through a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers for years. Then I upgraded to some big EV's. Still used the bookshelfs and reference. Nothing really helped with the freakish translation problems until I started treating the room. Every little bit I added made shit come into focus. Actually focus was OK, it was all the reflections, like a funhouse of mirrors. You won't even be able to evaluate your new monitors until you treat the room, so you might as well start there. Mineral wool, burlap, some 1x4 wood and some screws is all you need to get started building your RFZ.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.