Underground Pop ala Elliot Smith

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Underground Pop ala Elliot Smith

Post by junkyardtodd » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Maybe like if Elliot Smith spent more time on a skateboard, cranking Cheap Trick and Boston. Of course if he hadn't been so troubled, his records wouldn't have been so Great. Would I trade my relatively simple childhood, my wife and kids, to make a record like his? To a great extent I don't think that is a tradeoff he deliberately made. I think anyone who deliberately trashes their own life to make a better record is already pretty much a socio-path or something.

My touch stone on this record was Westerberg's 'Folker' CD. It really sounded like it was recorded on an old Fostex 8 track in someone's basement. I could practically smell the damp cinderblock walls. I wanted my record to sound like it was recorded in an attic in Cleveland by a guy who drives a truck all day, and listens to college radio all day, but wanted to make a record more like 'Pet Sounds' vs 'Heaven Tonight'.

Oh, I almost forgot, the mp3's are on myspace at www.myspace.com/junkyardtodd01
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.