Dorsey Mod for Oktava mk 012? How's it sound?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

deadair
steve albini likes it

Dorsey Mod for Oktava mk 012? How's it sound?

Post by deadair » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm

I was just reading about this modification and wondering if anyone had done it or heard its results? I'm a big fan of my 012s and if they can sound better, then i'm all for it, although part of me worries that maybe i don't want them to have expanded high and low end, and maybe its the way they deal with those frequencies already that i like.... so really i'm curious to hear from anyone that has heard a modified version. for reference i usually use these mics on toms, acoustic guitar, and once or twice a flute.... been curious to put one on a snare, but i only have two and theyre usually sitting on the toms.

anyways, the project seems to take a little more skill then i have but theres someone one ebay offering to do it for $50, which seems perhaps a little steep, but i'm just wondering if anyone has any idea if thats a good deal or not in their opinion? dorsey's description of it makes it sound like it definately takes a certain level of skill, so perhaps it is worth it. anyways, their offer is here, as well as a link to a pdf of the dorsey mod.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oktava-012-Micropho ... dZViewItem

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:58 pm

I did the mod on my 4 MK012's. IMO $49.00 to install the mod is a fair price since it does require good soldering skills and will take about an hour for each mic.

$50.00 for the parts is way more than if you ordered them yourself. If the convenience factor makes it worth while, thats up to the individual to decide. When buying the transistor there was a minimum order of $15.00 and they didn't stock any of the other parts needed for the mod, so theres some wasted money right there. I have a some transistors left over, if anybody wants a couple PM me. The 1G resistors can be hard to find and cost close to $4.00 each from digikey. I put a 1G resistor and the stock 680M in series.

Is the mod worth it? It definately opens up the frequency response. Didn't make a night and day difference but I may be deaf. One of the best things about that article is you can at least open up your mics and verify they have the correct parts in them.
my band: Mission 5

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:20 pm

I think it depends on the particular mics. I read the Dorsey article and opened my MK-012's up, but I really wasn't seeing the same problem components Dorsey replaced. Mine were fairly recent, maybe purchased two years ago, and looking at the internals definitely a bit different in the parts used.

So I haven't done anything to mine yet. They sound really good just the way they are anyways.