Small Diaphram Matched Pair Condesers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Audio Technica AE5100. Kills the Rode NT5s, if that means anything. I love 'em.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:53 pm

ctmsound wrote:Audio Technica AE5100. Kills the Rode NT5s, if that means anything. I love 'em.
I've got two of those for the live sound rig here, but I've still not gotten around to trying them in the studio. I guess I should've pulled 'em out for the shootout.

-Jeremy

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:33 am

My tape-op omnis are great. . .in the right room. They can be bright and airy or dull like a $10 mic. With any Omni mic, the room is the major factor. That being said, they sound like a dog's wet ass in my room! You can actually HEAR them WANTING to sound better. If you have a good sounding room. . .go for those. Inexpensive but GREAT mics.

I have to second (or third) Oktava MC012 (mk012). I have 2 pair and i love them to death. They're a little more expensive these days (back in the day I bought 6 pair at guitarget for $100 each, hand matched 2 pair and sold the rest), but still a great bang for your buck. OktavaUSA sells matched stereo pairs on ebay for $350 (they're MORE on their website) The guitarget ones are now even CHEAPER than the $99 i paid (i think) but are made in china. It's up to you to decide whether the chinese ones sound better or worse. I have no opinion as I have never heard them. There's a whole long story on those floating around somewhere. My take, though, is that they can copy the mic all they want, but they can NOT make the capsul exactly the same. They don't have the same tools, machines or people. Like I said. . .i've never heard them. . .but i can be confident that they're DIFFERENT. (steps down from his soapbox rant)

So i Second 9or third) RUSSIAN oktava mics.

-James