royalties?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sensorarray
audio school graduate

royalties?

Post by sensorarray » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:49 pm

hello,
we are putting out an lp soon and have a song where we had someone play cello on it. Does anyone know what the royalty situation is? so there's about 14 songs on it, and there's only one where this cellist is playing. we signed something concerning the arrangement he made up and the song...also, we can't get a hold of him because his cell phone is not in service.

thanks for any help,
derrick

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:22 pm

I would assume the situation is outlined in whatever you signed, no?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

sensorarray
audio school graduate

Post by sensorarray » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:36 pm

i quote: "in exchange for above mentioned services rendered to music ensemble I am accepting an equal percentage of all royalties and rights associated with the use of the above cello arrangement in all present and future recordings and publishing venues with above music ensemble."

the question is now, amongst 14 songs what is an "equal percentage". we have no issue with paying this person because we would like to think we are honest, honorable people (even without the contract).

just as this person was trying to avoid getting screwed, we want to also.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Roylaties of what?

I find that in situations like this it's way more sensible and easier if you just agree on a price for the services rendered. Especially in self-released or small lable situations.

Look at it this way - who is gonna count the CDs sold and collect the money for this cello person? In most cases, no one. Just find a number that everyone feels good about, pay for the arrangement and playing, and no one will ever be saying a year later that they got screwed and how you owe them money.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:28 am

Larry is 100% correct. It's even the case with major label releases. Studio musicians don't recieve a royalty, they get paid as "work for hire" and literally sign off on any royalties.

Where does a dude who plays cello come up with a contract like that? It sounds like someone has spent too much time on the web looking at "contracts for the music business". Call him up, offer him cash up front and have him sign THAT contract. He obviously needs the cash now (as his cell phone is turned off).

sensorarray
audio school graduate

Post by sensorarray » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:23 pm

thanks so much for taking the time to reply people. Yeah, that is actually a good point. This is the first time we did this and he kind of just popped it on us right before we were about to record.

so, i will suggest this to my band mates and try really hard to look for him.

thanks again.
(I'm so glad that tapeop msg board is back. I've been having withdrawals...)