Your weirdest, most eclectic/esoteric recording session?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Your weirdest, most eclectic/esoteric recording session?

Post by centurymantra » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:53 am

I had a session this weekend involving a band specializing in their own brand of, as they put it, structured chaos. I had some vague notions of what I was getting into prior to the session, but ended up just winging it once the gear was set up. This was a classic DIY experimental affair performed on mostly beat up, low-tech, home brewed gear...think something like Wolf Eyes or No Neck Blues Band and you're getting close. Basically, it's a trio of two instrumentalists and a vocalist. I'm pretty sure the two people playing the music are devoted non-musicians that, by most people's standards, don't technically know how to 'play' any instruments (in the traditional learned sense...measures, notes and all) yet there is a genuine sincerity and sense of intent in what they do that just makes it all very real and very cool sounding. These guys deal with sound and texture...not notes and melodies. So here's the setup:

Player #1: an array of effect pedals and electronic trickery anchored by a theremin as the main source blended with what I think were samples from discs, maybe even shortwave radio and other electronic sound sources and what sounds like some shamanistic vocal improv, though that might just have been the theremin 'speaking'. I honestly didn't look at the gear too closely and I'm not actually sure what he was doing since I was behind closed doors during the recording, but he had a shitload of stuff going on. He admitted that he didn't even know what was going on half of the time. They alternated by pounding on two floor toms in a tribal fashion at certain points in the session. This is all running through a tiny 3-channel Roland keyboard amp. He self mixed in some fashion, by bringing the layers on the three channels in and out for some decidely 'out'...WAY out sounds. The toms looked like they had been wailed on by the Butthole Surfers two decades previous before passing them on to their little brothers to use in their John Cage inspired industrial-punk band. One of them had a contact mic strapped to the bottom head, though he didn't hook that up for the recording session and these were miced seperately and recorded acousticallly...ended up taping a big chunk of the heads up with paper towel to dampen and get a different sound out of them.

Player #2: he used a drum set consisting of a kick drum, floor tom, and a snare drum that was mounted on top a plastic trash can (this is part of their sound) with a china cymbal, a high hat and a crash cymbal. Mostly played on with mallets alternating with a little bit of stick. He also had an old, borrowed Realistic brand Moog synth clone on a stand next to him and an old Fender guitar at his side. He would alternate between these instruments, sometimes playing two or three simultaneously. The drums were actually pretty nice Tama drums and the cymbals were decent Sabians, although the snare was a well worn relic from way back yonder - 75% ring mixed with a little *shhpicckt*!!

Pretty crazy...you really had to see it to appreciate it. Fortunately I was totally in to it. I used to be in a band kinda like this and appreciate the experimental side of things. I was told that they wanted monolithic, 'caveman' sounding drums so my basic intent was to get a kind of primordial distant pounding with a more present and up-front layer of electronics kind of floating atop the whole brew. It's the kind of session that would give your average straight laced recording engineer nightmares. Fortunately, I'm not a 'real' studio or a school trained engineer so it was all good to me. Overdubs consisted of some Sonic Youth/Loren Mazzacane style guitar overdubs at two points to replace the guitar recorded as a DI scratch track during the session, a layer of hair-dryer treated guitar w/ effects over one section, bugle, and a spot of bowed brass bells which were mounted on a plank. The vocals have yet to be done, though I'm told it will be an 'alien-speak' banter run through a huge layer of effects. This is all one continuous thirty minute piece.

Listening back to a basic mix I did to get an idea of what happened, prior to vocals, I'm actuallly pretty pleased with the results. It's kind of lo-fi, but nicely layered. Maybe I'll make experimental punk/noise bands a recording specialty. 8) The playing levels were ALL over the place and I had to freakin' saturate the recording with compression...which goes way against my general grain. Liberal doses of tube compression gain were also applied to various tracks. Overall, a really kind of cool, processed sound...somewhat mystifying at points and riddled with happy accidents that merely enhance the vibe.

This was all pretty eclectic, but I'm sure some folks out there have some good and even better stories about freaky recording sessions. Let's hear about them...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:31 am

that sound awesome! Post an MP3!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:14 pm

That does sound pretty cool, i'd be up for hearing that too, i do some bowed cymbal/ metal eggcup/ berimbau and what-not stuff too, frankly bowed anything that produces a sound is pretty alright with me. Ditto the radio stuff, i've been using a lovely roberts radio from the late 60's for various things, when i got it someone had already fitted an output to it which has held me in great stead..

Something i'm really into is taking sounds and some naive and 'proper' playing and editing it into structured music, hopefully i'll have my record finished by the end of the year so i can share some of that here.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:18 pm

The majority of projects I record are avant garde improvised music, so almost all of my sessions could be called weird or esoteric, depending on your definitions, really.

Probably the weirdest yet was a month ago. A drummer who played on my next CD asked for his pay in recording time. I'm not usually into trading, but he's a really honest and reliable guy who only plays good music, so I said sure.

He showed up a week later with three improvisers from Beiruit, Lebanon. Trumpet, electric guitar, and alto sax. The saxophonist had an array of odd techinques ranging from spitting air past the reed to muting the horn with her leg, and on out from there. She had an incredibly unique sound, but the techniques themselves were all things I'd seen before.

The guitarist had an Epiphone Les Paul copy and few effects, but mostly he used preparations on the instrument to acheive his f'd up tones. He played very quietly, but always felt like he was on the verge of explosion, sometimes attaching a piece of surgical tubing directly to one of his pickups and bowing it with a small bow to make some truly indescribeable textures.

Maybe the most remarkable of all was the trumpet player. He did all the things I've seen experimental guys do to a trumpet, and then added about 100 other sounds to the ensemble. I had to use 2 mics on him, and he filled up half my tracking room with preparations, mutes, bells, tubes, and so on. Some sounds required he play the trumpet holding it between his knees, and others up in the usual position (hence the 2 mics). Fortunately, I didn't have to have him demo all his sounds for me when setting up. He was experienced and smart. He said, "look, there are two positions I play in: up here, and down here." He also said he'd never be using both positions in a single piece of music. OK, no sweat, I thought. I can mix whichever mic out that isn't used on any given piece...

Well, I sure was bummed that I can't watch the entire tracking room from my control room position cause the sounds coming out of this guy--well, all of them, including the percussionist, who bowed, shook, and rubbed his instruments with expertise--were really stunning and often hard to identify. They recorded about 2 and 1/2 hours of music and at the mix session we narrowed it down to 1.5 hours. They'll do the final edits at mastering.

I was really proud and honored to work on it, and the cultural aspect felt great. The Lebanese cats' lack of self-conciousness about their music was refreshing. They were so matter-of-fact about it. I really hope it gets released sometime soon, cause I think it came out great. I know they played great, and frankly I think I was the perfect engineer to capture it, if I do say so myself...
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:45 pm

I wanna hear this also!!!

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:08 am

That IS cool! Sounds like a very nice session. For some reason, that whole story brought to mind an article I once read about a band named Morphogenesis, who create some decidedly out and very compelling experimental sounds. Ever listen to them...?

That session is an interesting counterpoint to the stuff I was recording...talented and very serious musicians creating experimental sounds in contrast to my session with bonafide non-musicians (but still serious) creating primordial textures. Maybe we should try to release a split CD!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:05 am

The "book of knots" sessions have been pretty amazing, when there is a song that has:

Marxophone, tremeloa, bul-bul, recorder, rhodes, guitar (electric and acoustic), piano, windchimes, full drum kit, tons of various percussion, vocals, backing vocals, hammond B3/leslie, synth, samples, sequenced stuff, found sounds,violin (eletric and acoustic), Saz.. ..... tons of stuff.

Sometimes with doubled drums.... Fun.

Lts of mutant home made electronics, lots of tapeloops on the 24trk, coupled with manipulation of tape by hand, in real time, "playing" the tapeloop to the basic tracks.... Lots of sympathetic vibration mic'ing, like with trash cans, piano's, and cymbals.

A couple songs posted in the "listen to my music" forum thingy....

The thread says "a fun one."

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:30 am

The time the guy wanted to work on his "fart" tape was kind of esoteric, FORTUNATELY he had all his "material" on cassette and we just needed to edit it all together. He'd, uh, captured his audio using some kind of home stereo, and you could hear when the speakers were on there were these nice reverb tails... so we talked about the options, either gating it, or editing "take" to "take"...

He was perfectly serious, I think his meds were a little off that week, he left without accomplishing a whole lot and he's never mentioned it again.

For real.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 am

Perhaps he was influenced by this guy, who sadly was not recorded:

http://www.johnbarber.com/pujol.html
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:43 am

That is sad. I wonder what kind of "pop" filter people would recommend?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:20 pm

joel hamilton wrote:The "book of knots" sessions have been pretty amazing, when there is a song that has:

Marxophone, tremeloa, bul-bul, recorder, rhodes, guitar (electric and acoustic), piano, windchimes, full drum kit, tons of various percussion, vocals, backing vocals, hammond B3/leslie, synth, samples, sequenced stuff, found sounds,violin (eletric and acoustic), Saz.. ..... tons of stuff.

Sometimes with doubled drums.... Fun.

Lts of mutant home made electronics, lots of tapeloops on the 24trk, coupled with manipulation of tape by hand, in real time, "playing" the tapeloop to the basic tracks.... Lots of sympathetic vibration mic'ing, like with trash cans, piano's, and cymbals.

A couple songs posted in the "listen to my music" forum thingy....

The thread says "a fun one."

Yeah.....fuckin' Book Of Knots rules! I just had to say that, Joel. Those are some session I wish I could have just hung out and watched.

Word.

heylow

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:47 pm

For me, the esoteric stuff (big surprise) would be the newest Dammitheads record. I don't know how esoteric it a lot of it was compared to what some of you guys are posting but there were a lot of really interesting things done......likely more on the just creative side than esoteric.

One song started out as a demo I did (keeping in mind I don't really play drums) where I had set up 2 kick drums and a floor tom as a set of "rain bringing" toms and did this whole off the cuff thing to a click and a scratch guitar. I mic'd all three up a number of different ways and did one pass.

This came out great and I was feeling pretty pleased so I threw up a mic in the room and proceeded to do a basic beat on the regualar kit with simple fills and THEN doubled that, reversing the fills so they would follow each other panned left and right.

My drummer heard the demo and loved it so much, we kept the original tom beat and he laid down the simple beat and doubled it using the same methedology. He's a good drummer, so the double he did was too perfect regardless of what he tried. Keep in mind, I wanted this song to sound like a huge wooden ship on the ocean, being batted around. I wanted the whole thing to make you sea sick which is the exact opposite of what drums should usually do. We decided that I should do the double myself for that reason. It worked.

We then went to another studio with a huge room and proceeded to triple and then quadruple the parts with a super far away room mic to "ghost" what was already going on with slightly augmented fills and breaks. It sounded great.

The final touches drumwise were a "room tom tom" played with the original tom stuff and then a live reamped snare buzz roll played through the entire songs, speeding and slowing for a droning effect.

Kids....this was just drums. I think everything percussive probably took up almost 24 tracks. The song was finished, then taken to Joel to be mixed. I gather it was fairly esoteric because the not only did Joel give us props on our "fearless 70's coked out producer production style" but went on to claim that the song was awesome like a "nightmare of a rockband". The song is "Rise & Die" on the record, btw.

Good times.....good times.

heylow

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:51 pm

"This came out great and I was feeling pretty pleased so I threw up."
-Heylow

I wish that was all you wrote.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:11 am

joel hamilton wrote:"This came out great and I was feeling pretty pleased so I threw up."
-Heylow

Might have been a bit more clear, I suppose.

Besides...at the end of the day, if a guy can say just that about a good day's work, I'd say he's doing OK.

heylow

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:35 am

heylow wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:"This came out great and I was feeling pretty pleased so I threw up."
-Heylow

Might have been a bit more clear, I suppose.

Besides...at the end of the day, if a guy can say just that about a good day's work, I'd say he's doing OK.

heylow
I actually laughed out loud.... man when are you coming back to Brooklyn? Come play a show here! I will help get you a decent show....

Fun times.