check out my new setup(almost done)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

check out my new setup(almost done)

Post by Harry » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:50 am

I'm looking for opinions on this rig.....All I've ever used is My Yamaha 01V and ADATS so I might be missing something important that someone here might kindly point out.....

I just picked up a Tascam M-3500 32x8 board
and I'm getting an Alesis HD24
I plan on recording bands as live as possible so I needed a lot of channels.

So ...I record through the Tascam onto the HD24 and take a fireport and dump it onto an M-box2(if I need to do some pro tool type stuff?)

Then I can either finish it right there in the box,or dump it back to the HD24 and do the final mix on a real board >to my masterlink.

is there any loss of quality dumping stuff back and forth?

I know I'll need a patchbay and a shitload of cables...some nice outboard gear........what am I forgetting????....anyone see any holes in this set up>>??
Thanks

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:20 pm

I think you will be able to make great records on an hd24 and the tascam board..it would be nice to have a set of better mic preamps and nice mics though..and then a selection of great outboard after that..but first and most importantly good musicians and instruments to record..

heylow
george martin

Re: check out my new setup(almost done)

Post by heylow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 pm

Harry wrote: I just picked up a Tascam M-3500 32x8 board
and I'm getting an Alesis HD24
I plan on recording bands as live as possible so I needed a lot of channels.
The HD is great...I love mine! You should be able to get a lot of mileage out of the above setup.
Harry wrote: So ...I record through the Tascam onto the HD24 and take a fireport and dump it onto an M-box2(if I need to do some pro tool type stuff?).
That should work great. The Fireport is a great utility and does a great job, hassle-free....no problems there. Back and forth with ease and in a jiffy!
Harry wrote:Then I can either finish it right there in the box,or dump it back to the HD24 and do the final mix on a real board >to my masterlink.
Yep.
Harry wrote: is there any loss of quality dumping stuff back and forth?
With the Fireport, there is no loss or change whatsoever to the file because you are merely tranferring data....no conversions.
Harry wrote: I know I'll need a patchbay and a shitload of cables...some nice outboard gear........what am I forgetting????....anyone see any holes in this set up>>??
Thanks
Ok, here's where I'd advise a bit. I'd not bother with a a patch bay yet. I'd hold off till you get more gear and a workflow that not only warrants one but serves a better function than simply being the obligatory patch bay. The money spent on something like that would likely go better into, say, 2 or 4 channels of higher grade preamp than the Tascam will have. Not only would you have a few channels of higher grade pre, you'd also have a different sonic "shade" than the Tascam provides.

Just a thought. Oh....and if you can "roll your own" cables, you'll save a lot of dough.

heylow

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:08 pm

I agree with everything said...The patchbay will come after a few "choice" pieces in my rack.....I will need a bunch o' cables though.

As far as rolling my own..........(drifts off for a sec.......~~)

Is there a good place to buy quality cable "by the mile"???? and ends.

Is it really worth the time??

Thanks for the input folks! I thought for sure someone was going to chime in with the "YOU CANT DO THAT" thing

Ahhhh.....Rock-n-Roll!!!!! gotta love it :!:

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:30 pm

Harry wrote:I agree with everything said...The patchbay will come after a few "choice" pieces in my rack.....I will need a bunch o' cables though.

As far as rolling my own..........(drifts off for a sec.......~~)

Is there a good place to buy quality cable "by the mile"???? and ends.

Is it really worth the time??
Well...as for acquiring cable stuff, REDCO is a great place. I've been able to save quite a bit of money through them...especially with stuff like snakes. Check it out.

As for if it's worth the time....I say yes. Simply because most of us have more time than money and also because some of the cables are going to be highly custom configurations anyways. Being able to do it is a skill that always comes in handy and you will have enough extra around to make whatever cables you didn't plan on needing. I have had to do reverse phase stuff and special cables for other mics from time to time...it can really save headaches.
Harry wrote: Thanks for the input folks! I thought for sure someone was going to chime in with the "YOU CANT DO THAT" thing

Ahhhh.....Rock-n-Roll!!!!! gotta love it :!:
TapeOp is a great spot for avoiding that attitude....you can do whatever you want regardless of what some dude says on a message board.

Rock!

heylow