Tascam M2600 mk2..Should I?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Tascam M2600 mk2..Should I?

Post by Quest Poetics » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:50 pm

I basically use an apogee trak2, focusrite is428 and ehx 12 ay7 for my 1st 7 channels of drums while recording...When doing drums I like to use between 10-12 channels total...Being that I only have 7 decent mic pre's I use an old mackie vlz mixer for the remaining tracks...Those tracks usually are toms and room mics...I basically have the oppurtunity to trade my Mackie 16 ch for this Tascam 2600 MK2 32 channel 8 buss console but I'm debating whether or not to pull the trigger...Should I? I just figure that what I have right now works and works well...However having a big 32 channel console never hurts as far as people being impressed by all the knobs.You know how clients are sometimes...Even if it is a Tascam...
Which brings me to my next question...How good will these 'Tascam" pre's be? Oh and how are the eq's on this board? Would it be a step up from the Mackie pre's and eq....Actually I dont even use the eq's on the mackie, so I'd assume the Tascam eq's would win this one....Anyhow let me know if you've used this console...Oh and here's a pic of the console I'm talking about...

Just scroll down to the bottom page of this link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/ ... ge-02.html

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:55 pm

I used one of these for about a year, I think it is at leaste equal to the Mackie. Weigh your need for more tracks vs. the smaller footprint of your mackie. I personally like the sound of the Tascam preamps and eq more than a Mackie I used, but not by much. Either way don't laugh and have beer come out your nose and fry a section (like I did) :o
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."