Boil Up music from Belize

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Boil Up music from Belize

Post by Reuben » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:38 pm

When I was on tour last week I did some CD shopping, and I found this new compilation of Belizian Boil Up music, which includes infusions of 70's soul, disco, reggae, and salsa. It's chock full of wicked analog sounds, much of it recorded in New York a good while ago. Sick electric organs, suprising cover tunes (my favorite is Nino Rota's theme from "the Godfather" done in half-time with the organ taking the melody), and a real good time vibe.

If you're looking for the exotic atmosphere of the Ethiopiques series, forget it, but it is very entertaining.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:36 pm

These are the guys who put it out:

http://www.numerogroup.com/

I haven't heard the Belize record yet, but their other releases (Eccentric Soul and Yellow Pills) are fantastic.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:53 pm

How interesting. My college girlfriend (years ago) studied away in Belize for a semester, and returned with tales of the "boil up" method of cooking which she learned in Belize. I think it was pretty much like it sounds, ie you pick some raw food materials and boil them up. Now here is that phrase again.