about to show just how green i am...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

about to show just how green i am...

Post by tomhampton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:47 pm

ok, so i've finally decided to give up my ADATs and start recording to hard disk...

here's what i thought my plan would be.

i've already got these ADAT's, right? so wouldn't it seem logical to use the ADATs as A/D converters and buy a Dakota card with 16 channels of lightpipe and use the ADAT front end to bring the audio into the PC?

well, this is what i thought.

my setup is this: ADAT to lightpipe to DAKOTA to Adobe Audition. I have the 9 pin sync cables connected from ADAT 1 to ADAT 2 to PC, as per the "why doesn't someone at Frontier upgrade this pitifully out of date" manual.

in the frontier control panel, i've got all green on the two optical inputs, but all the channels are redded out, and i have no actual audio coming into my PC at all. i'm using existing ADAT tapes to test, and am trying to import some of my old stuff.

why can't my computer hear them? i've checked and double checked the lightpipe connectors to make sure that everything is connected the way it should be. i can't think of anything else, in terms of why there's no meters or audio going into the PC.

someone is reading this and laughing their asses off, thinking to themselves, "what a doofus!"

that's actually the guy i want to hear from...the one who already knows exactly what i'm doing wrong. :)

T
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut

toekneebullard
audio school graduate

Post by toekneebullard » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:06 am

I'm not that guy, but I did have a friend who did the adat A/D to Digi002 Lightpipe connection, he had issues until he synced them up.
Tony Bullard

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:45 am

This sounds like it could be a million things. I would guess that its a driver issue first. I would look at that. Make sure you have the newest drivers possible for audition and for the Dakota. Make sure those can talk to each other. Some PC boards don't some PIC cards. That might be an issue.

Is you lightpipe going both ways? If it is the computer can slave to the adats from that(which is a bad idea to use it like that, but might be worth checking).

Does the dakota only have lightpipe in and out? If it has other I/O plug another divice (not the adat) into that and try it out.

Did you get the right adat sync cabels?

Thats about all I can think of.

Im sure someone will post on this when daylight hits and give you the right answer if none of that helped.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

tomhampton
gettin' sounds

some success

Post by tomhampton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:53 am

well, oddly enough, my problem seems to be with audition.

i installed samplitude 7 and it works like a charm. i can import up to sixteen tracks at a time without any issues whatsoever.

what i have to do now is get my hands on a timecode primer and start figuring that out...i've never needed to before. now, though, there are instances where i'm going to have to slave the adat machines off my computer, or vice versa, and i have no idea how to go about that. time to start googling.

still a little bummed about the audition thing, because i want to know what it is that i'm doing wrong...but it's all good. i'm up and working now.

T
http://www.tomhampton.com

guitar, lap and pedal steel, mandolin, dobro, banjo, other various oddities and harmony slut