32 bit files -> 24 bit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:51 am

Briefly, and to simplify, 32 bit files are actually 24 bit files that the application (I work, for example, in Cool Edit) can modify, via "floating point" math, as though it were actually a 32 bit file. There are no actual "additional" bits to be subsequently truncated, but rather the mathematical simulation of same.

This means, theoretically (and empirically to me; I can hear it), that the file doesn't digitally clip (or is very difficult to make clip), that less dither is required, and that the math applied during processing therefore gives "cleaner" results .

The files are also larger because of the additional information.

My recommendation is that the band do the conversion in the original application, and send you 24 bit files.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:23 am

so i actually took the time to check, and it turns out that i am a complete moron.

apparently 32bit audio slipped by me somehow. i guess im just getting far too oblivious. my sincerest apologies to kikocoolray for not doing my homework before i spoke, thus doing more harm then good. as well as to subatomic pieces for arguing the wrong side of an actual fact, and above all for wasting everyone time.

i'll make a better effort to check my work next time.

hopefully no one was offended.

steve

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:44 pm

steve--

no sweat...

and thanks to all for clearing it up... if i have some brilliant success getting the stuff converted I'll post an update.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:38 pm

no offense taken here.

32bit files were a source of mass-confusion when they were first introduced to Cubase.

lord divine
audio school

Post by lord divine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 am

what up kiko,

I have Protools and Adobe Audition (cool edit) so I know of 2 options that you have.

1. Inside of protools select import audio from movie and then select all files for the selected format. When this is selected you are able to import mp3, aiff, and wav files up to 32 bit in a protools session and it will convert your file

2. If possible have the person that owns cool edit to do a batch process of all of the wav files using cool edit. The can set the destination format to 24 bit, but I believe it has to be in a seperate folder than the original 32 bit wav files that they sent you.

hope this helps

PEACE

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:41 am

sweet. not only an answer.... but, options too! ;)

kikocoolray
gettin' sounds

Post by kikocoolray » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:09 am

perfect... thank lord divine.

lord divine
audio school

Post by lord divine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:19 pm

glad I could help

PEACE