Hard drive advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Hard drive advice

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:46 am

OK so I'm setting up my 1st computer recording rig and I realize I need an external hard drive
M-Box 2 and a Dell Inspiron 6000 lap top

suggestions on hard drives???????
Thanks

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:56 am

I like the LaCie firewire drives.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:05 am

Seagate drives have always been good to me and I love my Barracuda so I always recommend Seagate first.

Best Buy has a few Seagate external USB 2.0 drives on sale right now. Make sure it's a 7200RPM drive. Any slower and you'll have beaucoups problems.

I've also worked with a Western Digital this past year and haven't had any problems with it.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:07 am

the mini one?
are you using mac or PC? it looks like it will work on both but it might be more compatable with mac???

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:19 am

For external drives, using USB2, Firewire 800 or 400, the OWC Mercury & Neptune lines have always performed flawlessly for me.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:35 am

The Lacie drives in the D2 case have worked eally well for me for years. This is the drive i suggest to clients every time. I have run 48+ track sessions at 96k with these drives in PTHD for weeks on end, punching in across 12-16 tracks sometimes. Some of them have taken this kind of beating for 4 years solid now, and they are totally still kicking.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 am

Thanks all....This should get me going in the right direction

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:21 pm

I got a Western Digital USB 2.0 at circuit city that I've used a bit for audio, and the little i've used it it hasn't given me any problems.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:54 pm

I've only had my LaCie D2 for about 6-8 months now, and the other week it stopped working. The disk just doesn't spin anymore, so I can't run disk warrior on it or anything. That said, I've heard nothing but good things about LaCie drives, and must be the only person who got screwed. Not sure if they all do, but mine had a Maxtor drive inside, and I've heard of people having this same issue with Maxtors.

I think what I'm trying to say here is: if really care about what you're recording, get 2 drives(or use your internal) and back it up

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:37 am

e.maynard wrote:For external drives, using USB2, Firewire 800 or 400, the OWC Mercury & Neptune lines have always performed flawlessly for me.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
I agree. I've been using a pair of Mercury's for a couple of years now, with no problems.

geetar
audio school

Post by geetar » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:43 pm

[quote="allbaldo"][quote="e.maynard"]For external drives, using USB2, Firewire 800 or 400, the OWC Mercury & Neptune lines have always performed flawlessly for me.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/[/quote]

I agree. I've been using a pair of Mercury's for a couple of years now, with no problems.[/quote]

I third that. I have an OWC Mercury for my main working drive and suggest all clients purchase an OWC Neptune for backups and archives. They smoke and I've never had problem one with them.
"put this in your earhole"

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:59 am

i own 2 mercury extremes (owc) and a cobra (ezquest, older). no problems with any of them, however, i'm the only person using them. one mercury extreme goes from one studio to the next and still no problems.

i have personally seen a few lacies bite the dust. and maxtors, yikes, watch out.

one studio where i work wants to try using the new avastor drives but i don't know enough about them. anyone?

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:13 pm

Bear in mind that most companies which sell cased drives may source different drives ie. LaCie uses WD, and Maxtor drives, if not more.

I have had no problems with WD drives, but one of my contemporaries has banished them from his studio due to reliability probs, and has gone to Maxtor. I have also read of some people having problems with certain maxtor series.

I think the moral is that while all brands seem to have anecdotes of failure, you can minimize risk by having a good case/power supply. I'm sure the Maxtor and LaCie cases will be fine, but still backup to another medium in case.

Best,
H