Equipment used to Record "Back In Black" by AC-DC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 am

soundguy wrote:
drumsound wrote:
Rodgre wrote:by the way, has anyone else noticed the edit in the song Back in Black where the hi-hat sounds totally different as soon as the verse starts?

It's like two different takes were edited at that point.

Roger
It would be a pretty common thing at that time. It might be an edit on the multitrack or possibly on the mix. Before massive automation people would mix in sections and splice them together. That could be what you're hearing. I don't have a copy of Back In Black (I have a radio so I don't need the record...:oops: ), so I can't comment specifically.
people still dont do this today?

shit there are some bands today that can only PERFORM in sections...

dave
I could be wrong but I think it happens less, becaues there are so many ways to automate.

Sadly there are bands and producers who can only deal with small sections of songs...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:10 pm

you know, maybe you are right. There are really somethings that I just dont comprehend about the "modern" recording process, as if it needed to be updated. With the level of microscoping editing that goes on with some records I suppose the 90 degree cut doesnt need to happen anymore. Of course this is so much a part of the sound of "old" records however when you read through the threads about people trying to deconstruct the sound of old shit, its hardly ever mentioned. Look at how many edits there are in good vibrations, outside of zappa stuff which few people have ever heard, good vibrations is probably the most useful paradigm on the topic...

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Back In Black was recorded at Compass Point studio A. That room has a unique drum sound, and I'm told the room's characteristics are the what you hear on that record (more so than any mic characteristic).

Studio A has a typical "live room dead room" thing; the drums were tracked in the rear "dead part". Bob Marley did a lot of tracking there as did Robert Palmer and the Rolling Stones.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:04 am

I just listened to it and other than Phil Rudd opening up the hat during the 1st verse so it's a bit more washy, I don't hear anything about the actual tone being different.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 am

Catoogie wrote:I just listened to it and other than Phil Rudd opening up the hat during the 1st verse so it's a bit more washy, I don't hear anything about the actual tone being different.
Well that's what I'm referring to. It sounds like a different take to me. I never noticed it until I tried headphones.

Roger

Seamus
audio school

Post by Seamus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:18 am

Regarding Brian Johnson, I remember him being interviewed and saying he was so nervous of taking over the role of Bon Scott that he literally drank himself silly everyday of the sessions and trashed his voice screaming the vocals. I think he also mentioned something about them having to cancel shows while his voice healed. But who can argue with the results?

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:45 am

Shawn1272 wrote:I once did a session with Brian Johnson of AC/DC. I can definitely say that he did not sing quietly. That dude could belt it out. And curse like a sailor. And tell awesome stories. And twist everything I said into sexual innuendo. And drink more beer before noon than you and I put together.

shawn

he sounds like my hero.