GIK bass traps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

GIK bass traps?

Post by pk » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:39 am

Just stumbled upon this site.
I've found Ethan's Real Traps to be worth every penny but just wondering how these would compare at much less money.

www.gikacoustics.com

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:06 pm

Certainly are cheap; no mention of flammability of the hand-selected (?) canvas, though, and the comment in the FAQ about they "tend to think that with the 2" spacer on the back that the NRC is much higher" tells me that they haven't tested these like Ethan has, which is part of the cost of his traps. My other quibble would be that the mention of "absorbtion and diffusion" on the product info page might be hard to prove; I don't think 2" of 703 fiberglass has much diffusive ability.

Sorry to nit-pick, but they put the info out there.

Frank

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:53 am

There is a long thread about these things here:

http://www.recording.org/modules.php?na ... ic&t=29218

Haven't read all of it myself, but thought others might want to see it.

fl

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:32 am

Hey Guys,

Glenn here from GIK Acoustics.. Yea read that whole thing over, it goes on and on and on and on... :D But the end is really what counts, WE NOW HAVE TESTING from Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.. You can view the numbers at
http://www.gikacoustics.com/absorption.htm

Thank,
Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

GIK acoustic panels

Post by tguncle » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:04 am

just in case anyone is searching through the archives on this subject... I picked up four of these recently and they did WONDERS for the little corner I work in. Mixing used to be so hard, and now I don't have to second guess the low end anymore. They're not as sexy as a new microphone, but I think they're helping me more than a $200 mic ever could -Jason

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:37 am

I have around (500 pounds?) of Glenn's traps waiting to be installed in the new room... Looking forward to it.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:38 am

goldstar wrote:no mention of flammability of the hand-selected (?) canvas
Glenn, please inform us about the flammability of your product. I feel this is a very important piece of information, and unless it is directly addressed I would be inclined to assume they burn nicely.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:36 am

These look like a pretty good deal.

I'm the kind of person though, that will spend 20 hours DIY'ing something to save five bucks and end up with a shitty product.

Too bad shipping is over $70 for four panels.

Silly question: Wouldn't it be most efficient, if one were using these panels for corner traps, to place them in the three sided corners? I.E. right at the cieling or right one the floor? I don't really know much about this stuff, but I see in a lot of the pics on Glenn's site that people put them about halfway between.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:57 am

I have 8 GIK Acoustic 4" panels in my room - and just ordered 6 more.
These things are well built and effective and extremely easy to install.

Being in NYC my space & time constraints are not conducive to DIY'ing - but if you had patience you certainly could get the mineral wool and build your own version of these yourself pretty easily. But at around $67 a pop including shipping I think they are more than well worth it for the time saved.

As far as positioning in the corner - in general the most effective absorption will be at the halfway point - but if a doorway or other obstruction keeps you from putting it there - then at the top of a corner is also effective (and where I have some of mine positioned)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:36 am

Hey you guys, send me pictures after you get your panels up.... And thanks for the orders, you guys rock!!!!!

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:36 pm

Have four in small room and they helped enormously.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 am

I recently bought 6 of these and I'm very happy with the results. Well made. Great price.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:56 am

myfipie wrote:Hey Guys,

Glenn here from GIK Acoustics.. Yea read that whole thing over, it goes on and on and on and on... :D But the end is really what counts, WE NOW HAVE TESTING from Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.. You can view the numbers at

Thank,
Glenn
sorry but i don't believe it's physically possible to have the absorption coefficients you list. Specifically the ones greater than one... at 80 Hz you list the absorption coefficient being greater than 2 and for the "Monster Bass Traps" it's listed as 3 even! So for every 1 pascal of pressure incident on it, two or three pascals get absorbed???? It just doesn't make sense.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:37 pm

vsr600 wrote:
myfipie wrote:Hey Guys,

Thank,
Glenn
sorry but i don't believe it's physically possible to have the absorption coefficients you list. Specifically the ones greater than one... at 80 Hz you list the absorption coefficient being greater than 2 and for the "Monster Bass Traps" it's listed as 3 even! So for every 1 pascal of pressure incident on it, two or three pascals get absorbed???? It just doesn't make sense.
My understanding also is that the value of sound absorption coefficients should range from 0 to 1 (with the decimal place number being a percentage of sound absorbed) - so that it is indeed possible that the values are listed incorrectly if they are actually supposed to be listing SAC. Perhaps Glenn can clarify this for us?

But - there is no use of the words "Monster Bass Traps" on that page linked - and there are no "absorption coefficients" that are listed at higher than 2.02 - so what are you looking at??

Anyway - the pdf's from the testing company are at
http://www.gikacoustics.com/docs/CornerMount.pdf
http://www.gikacoustics.com/docs/WallMount.pdf
http://www.gikacoustics.com/docs/AMount.pdf
and list results in Sabins per unit (not SAC's)

Regardless of any mis-listings on that page - in my direct experience - Glenn's panels work well.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 pm

That's weird, it was there earlier today I swear I copied and pasted "Monster Bass Traps" from their site....