tracktion 2 vs. ableton live 5

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

tracktion 2 vs. ableton live 5

Post by the velour fog » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:13 pm

so, i'm upgrading my computer and i thought it would be good to upgrade software as well. right now i'm using live 2 for recording. i was thinking of upgrading to ableton live 5, but i don't really have the money for it. tracktion 2 seems like a similar program..(no actual live sound capabilities i think, but i don't use live for that anyway.) so...

opinions on tracktion 2?
suggestions for other cheap recording software?

i'm all ears. thanks.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:36 pm

as far as i know, those are the two good cheap DAWs.

i have that traktion free thing that they offered to tapeoppers and i have live 5. can't say i use either of them... but they seem really nice.

this post is totally unhelpful.

here, think about this: The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:59 pm

i love tracktion 2. this place is very useful. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

if you have specific questions about using it live ask there plenty of people would know all the limitations. all i use it for is recording. but for that i love it. i have a friend that can get me a copy of cubase (completly legal mind you, from steinberg) for $99, but i would still rather use tracktion.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:51 am

eeldip wrote:
here, think about this: The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!
Thanks eeldip, now I have a visual of Sean Connery w/ a ponytail...
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:48 am

go forth and ill

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:10 am

It seems like your application would make a lot of difference in which to use. I absolutely love LIVE and use it all the time for songwriting and arrangement as well as timing correction. I also feel like its not the best for fine editing(no wave editing at all) and final song arrangement. For that I use both pro tools and dp 4.5. I have never used traktion but have heard good things about it. Sometimes you can get an older version of live on ebay and go the upgrade path for less than the retail price. If you are a student, teacher, or affiliated with a non-profit or educational organization I thinks you can find the academic version of live for close to $250 which make it pretty close to traktion pricewise. That is assuming you're not doing a lot of paid audio work whcih would be a conflict with most academic EULAs.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:41 am

assfortress wrote:i love tracktion 2. this place is very useful. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22
Ditto. Tracktion was the first DAW I used that was as fun and as easy to get into as ye olde Tascam 4 track. LOVE it.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:31 am

I have Tracktion (the formerly free version) and Protools LE. Ive never used Live but I can say I like Tracktion. Its decent software that seems pretty stable. It isnt as easy as Protools for editing audio, but it holds its own. One plus it has over Protools, never ending vst and vsti plugs!

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Ableton Live is the schnizz for electronic/experimental music. It's sorta like having the best features of an MPC and a DAW in one program. If that's not your bag I'd go with Tracktion which is a very straightforward recording program.

If you want really cheap, check out Audacity- http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis