Aardvark 24/96 Please Help?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

asabot
audio school

Aardvark 24/96 Please Help?

Post by asabot » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:38 am

I recently bought a used 24/96 off ebay, and I've got some issues, and I'm hoping someone out there has a solution.

For the record I'm using cubase LE & gigastudio, on windows xp.

1) If I plug my monitors directly into the main outs of the breakout box, I get some kind of backround noise.

2) The same if I plug my headphones into the phone jack.
(not so if I run it all through a little mixer that I have, problem is that I bought the card to move the mixer somwhere else.)

3) when using gigastudio, every note I hit also gets a little noise.

4) It doesn't work with my other windows apps. ie Itunes etc.(yes I'm a one-machine-for-everything guy)

Is this normal?

Would a mixer solve the problem?

Did I buy a defective card?

Or is there some internal tweak that will fix all of this.

Any Ideas?

thanks,

asa

treble king
gimme a little kick & snare

my recommendations

Post by treble king » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:06 pm

I have a q10 - if you're getting noise in everything, I suggest moving the card to a different slot.

If you're still getting noise, I'd try taking out the other cards one by one (power off!;) and testing it. I think mine is on the far end of the motherboad from the video card.

Getting iTunes to work: You'll need to go into the Sound control panel, and change the playback, recording dealys to the Aardvark driver. I think checking the box 'use only preferred devices' helps. iTunes is not very smart when there are multiple sound cards in the system (in my experience).

I have found that having the built-in soundcard disabled has solved many problems as well.

Hope that works for you. I luuuuuuv my q10.
I'm in for two, and I can pay.

asabot
audio school

Post by asabot » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:25 pm

Thank You Sir,

That did the trick.

I took out the 'ol Darla card that I had in there, disabled something called CMediaWav Mixer (I think that's the mother board's sound - Not sure), and Moved the Aardvark to the first slot.

Everything works - Gigastudio, Cubase, Vst Instruments, and yes even Itunes, and no more noise.

Thanks for the help.

asa