imac g5 vs power mac g5

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hang the blessed dj
audio school graduate

imac g5 vs power mac g5

Post by hang the blessed dj » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:14 pm

hey there.
i'm looking into getting either the imac g5 or the power mac g5.
i'm pretty new to macs so i'm not sure which one is best for me.
right now i am running the digi001, but eventually i would like to get pro tools hd
which computer do you think would be better for my situtation?
anyone have any ideas?
thanks
-christopher

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:09 pm

I don't use my computer for recording, but isn't a Protools HD system based on PCI cards?

The Imac is a great computer for the price and is very powerful, but is only expandable via firewire or USB. There's no reason you couldn't have a super powerful recording computer from an Imac, but you couldn't run an HD system on it as far as I know.

If you have the $$$ to spend on an HD system then the price difference between an Imac and a Power Mac shouldn't be too much of an issue. But since technology advances very rapidly, you might want to buy an Imac now so that when you invest in an HD system you can get whatever the current top of the line Powermac is, as it will undoubtedly be higher spec'ed than one you buy right now.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:40 pm

One big problem with the imac G5 for audio is that the CPU fan is on your desk--and when it gets busy it's fairly loud.

Tom

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:53 pm

the digi001 is pci based too. it won't work with an iMac.

alignin' 24-trk

Post by 01100011 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 pm

HD system won't work with an imac either.

hang the blessed dj
audio school graduate

Post by hang the blessed dj » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:52 am

yeah, thanks guys.
i just checked the specs on the new imac out.
if i get it i could always upgrade to a digi002 they are firewire
i just want to make sure the imac can handle the power for plugins, ect.
thanks
-christopher

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:48 am

there's a HUGE difference between a pro tools hd system and a digi002 system.

what are you trying to do?

don't get me wrong, an 002 on an iMac would be perfectly useable and cool. but, I think that you may have misrepresented your intentions by originally claiming that you're interested in getting into an HD system.

is this for a home studio or a commercial studio?

hang the blessed dj
audio school graduate

Post by hang the blessed dj » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 am

hey, yes totally
its a home studio.
maybe in the next year or so i would like to upgrade to hd, so when our band goes to record at a studio they can dump it to hd and we can do some tracking here.
i was just seeing if the imac would work with hd, obviously it does not, so i don't know if i should use the imac with a digi002 now, or just invest in a powermac, that way i don't have to buy a new comp when i get hd.
follow?
thanks
-christopher

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:57 pm

If you think you'll be able to afford HD in the next year or two, shell out for a PowerMac. But, if you're in 002 land, the imac will be fine. The monitor spanning issue is solved as well...there's a freeware app that will let you do dual monitor with an imac. neat.

kb

hang the blessed dj
audio school graduate

Post by hang the blessed dj » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:20 am

awesome thanks buddy

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:19 am

The other issue with the brand-new P-Macs is that they are PCI-Express only. PCI-Express is NOT backwards compatible with old-school PCI (the way PCI-X kind of is - yeah, it's confusing). Digi is working on PCI Express HD cards, but they're not out yet. So if you go new P-Mac G5, you're probably going to have to wait for PCI. (Firewire interfaces, like the 002, shouldn't be a problem.) Lots of places still have the (slightly) older G5s with PCI-X slots, and these will work with HD. But if you do get a P-Mac, be sure to make certain that you're getting one with PCI-X, not Express.

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:00 am

Its interesting, I bought an iMac g5 for recording recently, and my brother bought a powermac g5 later so I sold my iMac g5. The fan issue is certainly worth noting. With the tower, you can put it out of the way, or build a fence around it to minimize the effect of the noise.

Another thing to consider is the RAM capacity. the iMac as far as I know can hold 2 gigs max, while PowerMacs go up to 4 or even 8 I believe. So you can really max out your power, depending on how taxing your audio production will be. That being said, I had the full 2 gigs in my iMac and only 1 gig as of now in the PowerMac and it hasnt been much of an obstruction. but then again i dont use many plugs.