radio interference in monitors?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

radio interference in monitors?

Post by pk » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Just moved to a new space and overjoyed to hear radio communications (car/limo services in Brooklyn) permeating through my monitors. I'm using 6' Mogami TRS cables, and also tried plugging them into differnt outlets (Furman rack strip, separate power strip, directly to wall plate, etc.) and the problem persists. Needless to say, it's annoying as f***.

Anything you can recommend to help eliminate this issue? Thanks for any help.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:59 pm

Move?

Blow up the cab company?

Or if neither of those work, you have to find out where the signal is entering the system.
If they are powered monitors, just plug 'em into the wall and turn them on with no audio feed. If there's still radio, then you're pretty well screwed unless you're lucky enough that it's coming in through the power lines and a serious conditioner (not just a powerstrip) might be able to stop it. If there's no noise your in luck.
Next step, plug the cable into the speaker, but not into the mixer. If there's noise then it's probably the cable.
Plug the cable into the mixer, but don't plug anything into the mixer, and don't route any channels to the mix. If there's noise here, it could still be the cable, but may be the console - and it could be picking up through power or it could be picking up signal all by itself.
If there isn't any noise, then you want to plug in one source at a time. Plug it in, listen, route to mix, listen, crank up gain, listen, unplug and repeat with next source.

If you're lucky, it's a cable somewhere in the system. Brand alone won't necessarily help, but if that Mogami cable is a star-quad cable, then that will help lessen the problem. If it isn't star-quad, try a star-quad, that's what they're built for.
And then just remember that for as much as radio signals like copper wires, they like iron even more, and you might need to add some iron as an RF choke onto the cables. And I'm not talking about those little ferrite beads that are on your computer's monitor cable, I'm talking about going to the hardware store and picking up a couple 3' pieces of rebar and spiraling your culprit cables around that. Not tightly wound, but wound around maybe 4-6 times over the length of the rebar. You could also wrap the cables around the heavy iron base of a mic stand to tune out the RF.
Conveniently, those are really cheap fixes.

And if all that fails, then call the FCC and complain - well unless it's an Italian limo service. And maybe not if you are operating an unlicensed business out of your house. I guess you could just use your best judgement on that one.

-Jeremy

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:19 pm

Now THERE's some advice. Amen!