fun game: identify this mic!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gsa
ass engineer

fun game: identify this mic!

Post by gsa » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm looking for a little help regarding a microphone that is in my possession. This long, slender, silver beauty came in a bag of goodies included with an old formerly BBC-owned Uher mono reel-to-reel recorder I purchased last year. I would deduce that it was manufactured as a reporter's mic due to the way the handle is curved and the lack of a thread mount. The capsule is detatchable and if you open it up, there is space for two AAA batteries. Other than that, I know next-to-nothing about this piece. There are absolutely no identifying markings anywhere on the body or inside the capsule. Nothing. Both the capsule and the output on the body use a strange connector that I've never encountered-- three pin, but definately not XLR. If I could find an adaptor for this I would be interested in trying the thing out on a few things, like vocals, snare or cabs.

Here are some pictures:

Image Image

Anybody? Thanks in advance!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:43 pm

looks like the mic thats in my shower that water comes out of..

foxxxing cool looking thing there..

never seen one like that before..

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:53 pm

It is a Reslo.

I assume it is dynamic? Why the batteries? Have you opened it up?

Reslo cables are as rare a rocking horse shit. Apparently, you can mod the old Shure Amphenol ones to work though.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:35 pm

Reslo cables are as rare a rocking horse shit. Apparently, you can mod the old Shure Amphenol ones to work though.
I picked up bunch of rocking horse shit on ebay the other day for next to nothing. I hear they've started making it again at the Quantegy factory.

gsa
ass engineer

Post by gsa » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:08 pm

rodabod wrote:It is a Reslo.

I assume it is dynamic? Why the batteries? Have you opened it up?

Couldn't tell you about why the batteries are there if its a dynamic.. I'll try and take a shot of the compartment in a little bit. Many thanks for naming it, though!

gsa
ass engineer

Post by gsa » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:29 pm

Here is the battery compartment. When I received it there were two in there, but I have removed them. The metal bit swings around to connect with the terminals and hold them tightly in the holes. I haven't tride to take it apart any further than this.

Also, in the same bag wherein I found the mic, there was in fact a connection adaptor.. this three pin type-- male-- to male DIN-type.. I think four or five pin. Would this help me out?

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:34 pm

gsa wrote: Also, in the same bag wherein I found the mic, there was in fact a connection adaptor.. this three pin type-- male-- to male DIN-type.. I think four or five pin. Would this help me out?
Shit, that's weird. Looks like a small diaphragm electret condenser.

It may be better working on a higher voltage supply a la PZM, but you'd need to check first.

If there is a Reslo connector on one end of the adapter lead then rewire it with an XLR connector. I wrote the pinout somewhere here I think. If you can't find it, just ask.

gsa
ass engineer

Post by gsa » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:24 pm

I guess until I find out something further I will dub this beast the Reslo Showerhead.

Found your post on the pins.. I will make the wiring a project when I get a bit of spare time. Thanks for the help!

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:04 pm

Someone needs to register here under the name Reslo Showerhead...