"money" channel

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

covert
pushin' record

"money" channel

Post by covert » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:36 am

I'm asking this question in a variety of forums, since it's more about philosophy than gear advice, and the concept of having only one, or a limited number of "money" channels is at one end of the spectrum, and the gear that goes into one is at the other. So the gear isn't the question at the moment, may get back to that when choices narrow somewhat. The philosophical approach, or maybe simply the definition of the term is the question. Do you look at the "money channel" as the place where you spent money, or as the place where you'll earn money by impressing the client? I do realize that, at some level, it's a matter of the former to achieve the latter, but how do you see it? On the next level, how do you justify the fact that many elements will not go through "money" channels. Is there a tactful way to suggest that some parts are sufficiently less important to not rate the money channel?
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:05 am

Hmmm... well, there's probably always one element that's "most important," like usually the lead vocal or lead instrument, no doubt that gets the best treatment signal-chain-wise. I always thought "money" something in these contexts referred to the power and effectiveness of your prime ingrediment: that's what's going to generate the profit.

...unless I've missed a new product: "The Focusrite Money Channel."
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:55 am

joelpatterson wrote:...unless I've missed a new product: "The Focusrite Money Channel."

I have taken the liberty of forwarding your idea to Focusrite. I have also suggested that they offer no description in their sales literature and refer to it simply as "The Money Channel".

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:23 am

Besides for tracking basics, most recording (rock, pop, and RAP anyway) is done with one player and one instrument at a time. Thus your 'money channel" can be used on multiple sources. When tracking basics tracks some ?compromises? may need to be made. As you make more money you can get more money channels and make less 'compromises.' Lather, rinse, repeat.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:39 pm

drumsound wrote: When tracking basics tracks some ?compromises? may need to be made. As you make more money you can get more money channels and make less 'compromises.' Lather, rinse, repeat.
That's the story of my recording life.

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 pm

I mostly record myself (as of now...) so I have and use a "money" channel. Most of the time I'm recording one thing at a time. So I invested in basically the best I could afford....Great River pre, Speck EQ, and a Distressor. I also have my utility stuff...RNP, RNC, Sytek, RNLA, console EQ, etc. Same with mics...my "money" mic is my Gefell umt70s and then the utility stuff is AT4050, AT4047, Beyer M160, SM57, etc. This method provides my one AWESOME channel and a lot variety and options if I need it. It seems to work.

Tim