diffusor plans?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

klute
alignin' 24-trk

diffusor plans?

Post by klute » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:22 am

I'm sure this has been covered many times but where are there some good plans for building a diffusor? thanks-

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: diffusor plans?

Post by Ethan Winer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:26 am

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:51 am

What about those 'flat' diffusors (binary residue?) that are sometimes seen on back walls of control rooms, often in a v-shape? Using planks of differing widths, spaces of differing widths, but all the same depth... They were discussed at TapeOpCon 2004 and, although I took some notes, I didn't get anywhere near enough info (mistakenly believing it would be easy to Google. :( )
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:51 pm

Mark,

> What about those 'flat' diffusors <

Can you post a link to a photo?

--Ethan

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm guessing Mark's talking about a Schroeder diffusor; check out ch. 14 in Alton Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics". The pattern for them goes like this:

The bold numbers are the solid part (say, a 1x4 ripped to that width) and the other numbers are the spaces between them. Using a 1x (really 3/4" thick) ripped to that pattern, you'd have solid pieces 1 1/2", then a 3/4" space, 3/4" solid, 3/4" space, 3" solid, 2 1/4" space, 3/4" solid, 3/4" space, etc. An acoustic designer I've worked with uses them when the budget won't allow RPG's or something fancy like that

Frank

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:34 pm

Goldstar - yeah, perhaps something like that...! But, (as photos below show) the sizing is a little different.

Ethan, a little looking back at some notes I have indicates I'm thinking of something that is called a Binary Amplitude Diffusor (maybe?), based on something called the Chinese Remainder Thoerem, perhaps?

Is that making any sense?

I did find three pictures I must have snagged online shortly after TapeOpCon2004 (when I last gave this concept some real thought...) (I apologise to the owner of thse pictures: I've forgotten who you are and of what studio these are! I am horribly embarrased by this. I will gladly delete them if I have crossed a line...)

The pics:
http://www.slaughterhousestudio.com/diffuse1.jpg
http://www.slaughterhousestudio.com/diffuse2.jpg
http://www.slaughterhousestudio.com/diffuse3.jpg

Those look perfect to me aesthetically - and that's while I'd like to do in the rear of my control room.

Thanks, all.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Those photos are studios designed by Wes Lachot, who was a panelist at TapeOpCon 2004. You're right, Mark, the pattern is different, but the numbers I gave above work, too.

www.weslachot.com

Frank

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:43 am

I'm not going to search it out right now (breakfast), but apparently the BBC has some actual plans posted on their website somewhere.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:13 am

Oh, of course the're from Wes! Duh on me - he was the very person who I took notes from that year. :oops:
Thanks for the brain refresher.
Anyone know the ratios there? Are they any better/worse/different than the ones in this thread already?

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:37 am

Mark,

> Oh, of course the're from Wes! <

I recognized them immediately, but Frank beat me to it.

> Anyone know the ratios there? <

I know that Wes considers this design proprietary, but they look like they may be one of the standard sequences. Maybe you can print out the photos and measure with a ruler? :?

--Ethan

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Ethan Winer wrote: > Anyone know the ratios there? <

I know that Wes considers this design proprietary, but they look like they may be one of the standard sequences. Maybe you can print out the photos and measure with a ruler? :?
I don't want to step on any toes, so I guess I'll change my query to "anyone got any good sequences?" :) (or, I'll get out a ruler... ha ha.)

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:45 am

I was under the impression that a diffusor (quatdratic im reffering to i guess) had to be a lot deeper, the ones ive seen were a lot deeper that those can anyone shed some light on the differences. Those pannels posted by cowtrax (i mean mark) look a lot more astetic than things ive seen.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 am

The little bit of reading I've found on "flat" diffusors shows them to be quite effective, even in a broad-spectrum kind of way. The fact that they don't use a lot of material, and especially don't eat up too much cubic footage that is already tight, makes them appealing.

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:31 pm

Cyan,

> I was under the impression that a diffusor (quatdratic im reffering to i guess) had to be a lot deeper <

Yes, the deeper the wells, the lower in frequency they work to.

--Ethan

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:41 pm

in my copy of "recording studio design" by philip newell, he recommends a pattern of wood strips and voids (which would, I presume, be fabric covered fiberglass, although the depth and density of the fiberglass is not specified. There IS, however, a mathematical pattern specified. it is "5(wood), 3(void), 4(wood), 4(void), 3(wood), 5(void), 4(wood), 5(void), 3(wood)", at which point the numerical pattern repeats, with the void first (5v,3w,4v,4w,3v,5w,4v,5w,3v), etc. He calls it an "amplitude reflexion grating" It doesn't look like the exact same pattern wes uses, but, hell, it's in a book, so it MUST be true.... (figure 4.33, page 100, "recording studio design" by phillip newell.
brian