Best Powered PC speakers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Best Powered PC speakers

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:36 pm

Anyone have an opinion on the best self-powered PC speakers? My wife's dell freebies aren't too bad, but I was wondering if there was a sleeper out there.

It'd be for my iBook, and must be portable and somewhat rugged.

Thanks.

Jay

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Well, since you need portable that rules out a system with a sub.

I heard these last week at a Circuit City. They had decent bass for a system with no sub, and sounded pretty good overall. It's Bose, so they were kinda pricey though, $100.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:27 am

I just went through this a few weeks ago. I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, the mac life, and some other places. I setteled on the JBL CreatureII speakers. Its a 2.1 system with really small satilies and a sub. These are pretty harsh and brittle.

I also liked the bose speakers that were just two. I also liked a Klipsch pair that were about the same price at the Bose ones. Both of those speakers were lesh harsh, but in the end, none of them matched the color of my new apple display.

I would stay away from the speakers that advertise their portability and watch out for the ones that arn't powered!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:44 am

I like the Tascam vl-s21. The sattelites are very small, so it fits in the space I have for it, and it has it's own sound, so it won't be made obsolete by other speakers.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 pm

Big up for the VLS21s. I read a good review of them in Tape Op and got a set for $80 from my local music store. They're the only "computer speakers" that Sweetwater sells, which is saying something.

Don't laugh, but before I got these my monitor setup was a '70's Sansui receiver into a pair of garage sale RCA speakers. It's not a bad sounding rig, but it's definitely not very flat. Since getting the Tascams I've gotten a much better handle on what my sounds really sound like, and they're fun to play bass through, too.

Since the satellites are so thin you only really have to contend with the size of the sub module, which isn't that big. The system also has a pretty wide sweet spot.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:15 am

I use an altec thing with a sub. Not very portable, but it has become my only stereo at home. My laptop and those powered altec sattelite/sub thingies.

I am amazed at how fun they are to listen to.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:38 pm

As far as I can tell these are the rolls royce of portable comptuer speakers. I have a friend who owns and loves them (And they've come in extremely useful at a number of hotel and beach parties). However, you have to be ready to drop a good chunk of change on them. They're listed on the cambridgesoundworks site for $499.

Plus, you just don't get better than speakers with a deaf Mick Fleetwood's signature on them. How can he hear if they're any good?

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/stor ... m=c1md12ee

-marc