Midibox stuff

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Midibox stuff

Post by operator_tape » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:50 pm

has anyone stried to build any of the midibox stuff, it looks pretty cool but I can't seem to find prices for kits. I think I will make myself a midi controller.

www.ucapps.com

check it out

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:19 pm

yeah, I built the SID. TK does not actually sell the kits himself. Really, there are no kits - its all DIY but there are some folks who have made kits for sale. So, either you can take TK's board layouts and print your own, breadboard the suckers, or if you are in the US check out this place:

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/

his boards are really high quality - and he does not mark up the components that much from mouser, which is where he gets just about everything. Talk to Tim (smash tv) he is a super nice guy, and will help you with your order if you are confused.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:21 am

thanks man, how do you like the sound of your SID

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:35 am

Milkmansound wrote:yeah, I built the SID. TK does not actually sell the kits himself. Really, there are no kits - its all DIY but there are some folks who have made kits for sale. So, either you can take TK's board layouts and print your own, breadboard the suckers, or if you are in the US check out this place:

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/

his boards are really high quality - and he does not mark up the components that much from mouser, which is where he gets just about everything. Talk to Tim (smash tv) he is a super nice guy, and will help you with your order if you are confused.
That site gets me pretty stoked. But say I build the SID module, looks very simple...WTF do you do with it? What other stuff needs to be built in order to power and control it?

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:51 am

well, the most basic SID consists of the SID board (stuffed with the chip which you will need to find) and the Core. Add power, and they work together and can be programmed over midi since every tiny detail of TK's MIOS is midi CC-able.

However, with my SID I chose to use an LCD and a few buttons, so that means I needed to add a digital interface to it to control the buttons - the SID application already reserves the first 5 buttons and an encoder for what TK calls "control surface step A" I also just hardwired the "bankstick" in there so that I can save 128 programs. If I ever need more than that, I will just do a dump and put more in there. Not a problem since I am used to analogs with no memory as it is.

thats all I need cause I am satisfied with just one SID in my synth. Oh, and by the way the thing sounds fantastic! Huge bass, and ripping leads - also, the wavetables and LFO's make for some crazy synth expirimentation. There is also aux input to the filter and a few types of filters which all sound awesome.

that said, with the midibox you can do so many different things! Make something like a studio controller for a DAW, or emulate a HUI like the mackie. Or just make some mondo midi controller for a live rig or that rack of synth modules that is collecting dust in your closet.

join the forums - look at other peoples projects, and read and re-read TK's site and that shit just magically appears to you and you will see how it all hooks up like a puzzle. Its no mystery - its just cool and cheap!
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:04 am

inverseroom wrote: What other stuff needs to be built in order to power and control it?
oh, I use a 9VAC wall wart to power both modules - since they have onboard regulation and smoothing!
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:07 pm

how much did your unit cost you to build?

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:48 am

the SID cost me probably $75 all said and done - I still need to finish it though and put it into an enclosure. (so add $25) Actually, I have an extra backlit LCD screen or 2 left over which cost me a little more. If you search around for components really hard you can put one together for real cheap - especially if you skip the control surface.

also, look for bulk C64 auctions on ebay - only about 50% of the SIDs you scrap out of the machines will work completely. Sometimes the filter will be shot - also, its easy to nuke them while desoldering. If you can find one in a socket, you are much better off.

as for making a midi controller - well, it will only cost as much as the number of knobs and buttons you put into it. If you want something with all 128 pots... do the math, pots can cost $2-3 a piece - sometimes less. Also, faders are a bit pricey as well if you get nice ones.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:14 am

So I guess you absoulutly need a C64 chip in it, I think I will start looking around for pieces, thanks for your input.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:32 pm

well yeah, the SID does nothing without the SID... they are quite easy to find actually.
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!